Chapter 14

"Tatum, I need to ask you something." Harry stated, staring over at me from the drivers seat. I slowly nodded my head telling him to proceed to ask whatever it was. "What exactly happened between your parents?" He softly questioned me. Although I was expecting this conversation to be brought up eventually, what I wasn't expecting was that it would be so soon. All color from my face drained when the words left his mouth. I stared down at my lap for awhile, I didn't know how to explain it to him at all. 

Opening up my mouth to speak, I quickly shut it as my phone went off. My grandmothers number flashed across the screen and I automatically declined the call. I was in no mood to talk to her, right now. "I don't even know where to begin," I faintly admitted to Harry, suppressing a laugh. 

"From the beginning." He suggested. 

Inhaling deeply, I parted my lips. "My mom and dad were high school sweet hearts. They met freshmen year and they couldn't stay away from each other. Things got pretty serious between the two, rather quickly actually. One thing led to another and I was born two years prior of them meeting." 

I coughed back the tears that were threatening to spill from my eyes before continuing. "My dad's job caused for him to work a lot, but he loved us both regardless. He made sure we were taken care of at all times, and when he wasn't working, you bet your ass he was with us."

"They loved each other so much, I still can't seem to grasp the concept on why my mother did what she did. He was so heartbroken, I don't think I had ever seen my father so depressed before, Harry. I still don't know how my dad found out about the affair, I guess he could sense the tension and separation that was beginning to take a wedge between the two. I don't know, but he found out. And that woman," I groaned, just the mention of her drove me mad. "Didn't seem to hold not one ounce of regret for the pain she caused him. Not one, Harry." I felt tears begin to roll down my cheeks that were fuming with heat not only from the hatred of my mother, but also from deprivation of my father. 

"After she filed for divorce, he lost it. I walked in on him sprawled across the couch, with a gunshot through his head. He's gone for good and it is all her fault, I didn't even get to say good bye before he was ripped away from me. He was my best friend, Harry. And he's gone, he's really gone." Tears were rapidly flowing down my face now, I just couldn't contain them any longer. I had managed to avoid all eye contact from Harry through my explanation, and I realized as soon as I looked over at him, that that was a good idea. Because when I saw slow tears escaping his eyes as well, I bawled even more. 

"Tatum, I'm so sorry..." He softly spoke, pulling over in a empty parking lot of some sort. 

"Well, sorry isn't  going to bring him back now is it?" I huffed, I really wasn't looking for pity. I was just so tired of holding it all in, because it was slowly eating me inside the longer I kept it bottled up. "I don't need your sympathy, okay?" I buried my face into my hands. I let out soft cries as his hands traveled up and down my back, in a soothing manner. 

"Tatum, look at me," Harry demanded, lifting my head up and forcing me to stare at him. His eyes were a faint shade of red and tears were still brimming from them. "I know you've grown accustomed to this whole feeling like no one cares about you thing and all, but I'm telling you right now, I'm doing everything in my power to break that wall you've built. Because I care about you more than you'll ever know. You don't want my sympathy, but you do need it. I don't want you to feel like you have to go through this alone, because you most certainly do not. I love you, Tatum." 

My eyes widen, and jaw dropped when these words fell from his mouth. How could he possibly love me? There's no way in hell that was possible. I wasn't even capable of loving myself, therefore I don't expect anyone else to. "Don't say things you don't mean, Harry." I snatched away from his grip and focused my attention to the scenery outside of the window.