Six

Chapter 6

I walked down the hall, anxious to get to lunch. Hannah told our mom about me falling asleep at Luke's house. My mom didn't seem too worried, since she's always trusted me. But I was grounded for the week.

"Skylar, you aren't dead." Calum said as I sat down at our table.

"Not yet," I sighed. "Hannah told my mom."

"No way, what a bitch." Calum frowned.

I nodded, taking a bite of my pizza. Luke walked up to the table, setting his tray down.

"Hi Luke." I said as he sat down silently

"Hi. So what happened with your sister?"

"She got busted, Hannah told her parents." Calum stated, eating a chip.

I sighed. "I'm grounded for a week." Luke frowned.

"That sucks." he said. I looked him up and down, making sure there was nothin to worry about. He was wearing a gray sweatshirt and his black skinny jeans. The sweatshirt covered his wrists, which I shouldn't worry about. He threw his blade away.

Calum and Luke were in some conversation, so I took my chance to look up and try to see Danielle, Iris, and Jade.

I spotted Jade, sitting with her boyfriend, David. He held her hand softly as they talked with the others at their table. Danielle sat across for them, talking to a boy with curly, light brown hair.

I was happy that they were all getting boys, what friend wouldn't be? There was a tray being set down at our table, and I turned to see Iris.

"Can I sit here, with you guys?" She sat down before we could respond. "Danielle and Jade ditched me."

"That sucks, I'm sorry." Calum said, scooting his chair a little closer to her.

"Do they have a..." Luke leaned in and whispered in my ear. His nose touched my head softly. "like, a thing with each other?"

"I hope so." I whisper back. Luke nodded slowly, backing his head back up.

We sat there, quietly eating as Calum and Iris talked and talked. When we were finally dismissed, I made my way to my locker, quickly grabbing my things for math.

"Sky," I turned to see Luke. I gave him a confused look. I've never been called Sky.

"Yeah?" I looked up at him as he leaned against to the locker beside mine.

"Are you going to come to my house after school?" he said quietly.

"I'm grounded, though," I sighed, closing my locker. "I'm sorry."

He bit his lip, looking down. "Maybe I could come to your house?" he seemed so desperate to hang out with me tonight, an it was kind of adorable.

"I can ask, if you want." A small smile spread across his lips.

"Okay, thank you." he said before walking down the hall. I laughed lightly to myself before heading to my class.

~~~~~

"Okay, would you rather be stuck in a tree for a week or..." Luke sat upside down on my couch, his feet in the air.

"Or what?" I asked, laughing.

"I don't know, I can't remember what I was going to say." he sighed, rolling down so his feet landed on my lap.

We sat like this for a couple minutes, in the silence.

"You seem happy today." I said, poking his toe.

"I feel a little happy." he responded, looking up at me.

"I like having you happy, it's funner."

"Funner isn't a word, Sky." He rolled his eyes.

"You know what I meant." I said back.

Luke sighed, rolling off the couch to the floor, flopping down onto the carpet.

Being with Luke when he was happy made me feel good inside, like I was helping him. I mean, I enjoyed his compony either way, but having him happy? That was like a door had been opened in a black hallway.

"Luke, you're so smiley today." I said, looking down at him.

He nodded, playing with his sweatshirt strings. "I don't know why, though."

"It's good." I said, leaning down closer.

He nodded again, looking up at me. "it's something about you, I think."