Chapter 28

Zoe's POV

"Frat parties aren't your thing I'm guessing?"

The familiar voice causes my eyes to snap open.

"I'll take that as a yes," Nick laughs.

In the dim glow of the light above the steps, Nick's sandy hair is a golden color. I find myself marveling over the long eyelashes that frame his shining hazel eyes.

"You would be right," I reply before quickly looking away.

Staring is a really bad habit that I, apparently, have adopted.

"How was your first day of orientation?" Nick asks with a smile.

"It was good, I made a few friends and signed up for a book club," I answer proudly.

"Great way to start," he says.

"Yeah.."

We stay quiet and a thought pops into my head.

"Why are you at a Harvard frat house?" I ask curiously.

Surely they don't just let anyone walk in? I gulp realizing they probably do. This isn't some high school party after all.

"I met a few people on the way home and they were inviting everyone they could find," he laughs, "Why are you at a Harvard frat party?"

Why am I here? Nick's question, although phrased in a joking way, makes me wonder why exactly I am here. This isn't me, I don't just go to frat parties. Given, I've never been invited to one or had the chance. Nevertheless, I still wouldn't go. But here I am. Because I have to look after an irresponsible Martin.

I notice Nick's questioning look and formulate a reply.

"I guess, well, Martin is DJ'ing and I thought I'd come along."

"Your boyfriend from the hotel?" he asks.

His accent sounds more prominent now than I've noticed before. Although it sounds like Martin's, there's a slight difference that I can't quite place.

"He's not my boyfriend," I say quickly.

The truth is, I don't know what he is to me. He's a friend, I suppose.

Friends don't randomly make out.

I refuse to stoop to the level and category of 'friends with benefits'. Martin is simply a very annoying and confusing acquaintance.

Acquaintances don't randomly make out.

I threaten to strangle my sub conscience and she shuts up with a smirk.

"Oh.." Nick trails off with a confused smile.

He doesn't look away and neither do I so I just smile in response.

"Nicko! Wanna come play a game?" A boy shouts from behind.

We both turn to face the blonde boy that I remember Martin talking to earlier at orientation. He holds a beer can in his hands with a cigarette in the other, though he's dressed in jeans and a smart looking blazer. He doesn't seem to fit in with the wild crowd at all.

"Depends what game it is," Nick replies.

"Beer pong!"

A few people walk past the door and cheer, pulling the blonde boy along with them.

"Come on! Bring the hottie!" He shouts as he walks back into the house, with a wink in my direction.

I hear Nick sigh beside me.