Chapter 34

Third Person Narration

13 Months Ago

Two weeks after waking up, the boy still has not said anything. Though he is back to normal, well, somewhat normal, he hasn't quite found his voice yet.

Every day, the strange woman comes to visit him with chocolates and wide smiles. She talks to him as if she knows him, sharing memories of times he doesn't understand or recall. On one day, the older woman brings a brown paper bag with a yellow 'M' printed on it.

"I'm not sure if you can eat this as yet but Big Macs have always been your favorite," she says happily, handing him the bag.

His favorite? He doesn't even know what a Big Mac is. And if it was his favourite, how did she know?

After she leaves, his head sinks back tiredly into the pillow. Every part of his body aches, if feels as if every bone in his body hurts. His hands always find their way to his face but instead of skin, he feels the rough bandages that have not yet been removed.

He wonders what happened to him and why he's in a hospital with broken bones. Most of all, he wonders if a person did this to him or if he was simply in an accident. Every day he tries to force himself to remember something, something about the woman who claims to be his mother and the girl who says she's his twin sister. Nothing comes, no flood of memories or feelings of nostalgia. Needless to say, it frustrates him to no end and yet, he can't do anything about it.

If it was a person who did this, I will make sure they pay, the boy thinks frustratedly.

Finally, the doctor and two nurses enter the room just at nine a.m. The boy sees the doctor is carrying with him a small bag and the nurses have a box of gloves in their hands.

"It's time to take the bandages off," the doctor smiles.

The boy doesn't know whether to feel happy or scared or worried. He is actually mostly worried. He doesn't know what he looked like before waking up but he knows he probably doesn't look that way anymore.

"Now, we will give you the option of a mirror if you would like to see the outcome. Bear in mind, reconstructive surgery takes months to fully heal and look normal, and in some cases, people end up looking like a completely different person once it all heals up," the doctor says cautiously.

The boy nods slowly, trying to decide if he really does want to see himself.

The doctor pulls out a pair of surgical scissors from his bag along with a scalpel to cut through the plaster. The nurses help to peel off what has been cut and soon, the boy winces as cold air smacks against his now bare face.

The doctor removes his gloves and chucks the instruments into a bin. "Would you like a mirror?"

Without hesitation, the boy nods. He wants to see what he looks like and when the woman returns today, he'll ask her if she has any pictures of his previous self and of him after the accident that caused this.

One of the nurses reaches for a large square mirror and places it carefully into his hands. With a deep breath, he turns it over so that it is facing the ceiling and all he can see is the tip of his light brown hair.

After a few moments of hesitation, he picks up the mirror to his face.

The boy cannot stop the gasp that escapes as he stares at a bruised and blue face with multiple cuts on the edges of his face, sewn together from the surgery. Everything is too swollen to actually distinguish his true appearance. He knows that they only had to perform reconstructive surgery because something, or someone, he thinks angrily, had left his face disfigured.