Chapter 54

This chapter is dedicated to Pancakeswot , @LindzFrienz12, @demidelrey99, @barabell, and GingerQueenOfDaisies because you're all wonderful! *hearts & flowers 4 u*

And also, I found the best writing playlist! The songs from track 17 onwards helped me write this chapter, they're so moving. If you want to, you can listen to it whilst you read -
http://8tracks.com/pathwayalexander/huge-epic-beautiful-soundtrack-mix-for-reading-study-sleeping-2015-edition-volume-iii

Martin's POV

I grab my jacket off the couch, as Julian staggers out of his room.

"Good luck," he says from the hallway and I give him a short nod.

The goddamn anxiety in my stomach returned last night and I didn't end up sleeping. I'm beyond fucking exhausted but the adrenaline and worry keeps my brain working, except quicker than it should.

After a fifteen minute drive across town, I walk the familiar route up to the law offices. It's almost as if I'm choking on oxygen, my chest clenching and relaxing repeatedly. It's an uncomfortable, almost painful feeling.

"Good morning, Mr Garritsen," Hübbler nods in my direction as I step into the familiar space.

I sit down in the same spot I sat in yesterday and look down at my bruised hands. The anxiety building in my stomach crescendos as I hear other people file into the room and I know who they are.

When I look up, my parents are nowhere to be seen. Instead, the black high rise chairs they usually occupy are empty. I gulp, but shake my head nevertheless, gritting my teeth. They can both go to hell.

I snap back to attention as Hübbler clears his throat. His assistant shuffles some papers around, clicking his pain furiously and I almost reach over and grab it, feeling the urge to just shove it down his throat. I feel the pain in my knuckles as they tighten.

"Since yesterday was cut short, we will have to go through much more today. Are you alright with that, Mr Garritsen?"

"Yes."

"Good," he licks his lips and holds his hand out to his assistant, into which a wad of papers is placed.

"We will begin from where we ended yesterday. Do you remember where that is?" Hübbler asks, looking up from the papers in his hands.

I swallow. "When I found her - Klaudia - on the grass."

"We don't expect you to recite those details again, so we will move forward. What did you do after you found Miss Koffman?"

I sift through the blackened memories of that night.

"I remember turning around and trying to get her to wake up. I grabbed her shoulders and tried shaking her but she wouldn't wake up. I thought she- she was dead."

The lump in my throat grows.

"Proceed."

"I sat next to her for a while. I don't know how long but I didn't know how to move. Or what to do. I- I just sat there."

Hübbler's facial expression is neutral.

"You did not try to go after the two men who harmed Miss Koffman and you did not attempt to go inside to get help?"

"They were already gone. How could I catch people who were driving?" I try hiding the annoyed tone of my voice but it only cracks and I have to swallow slowly. "And I sat there because I thought she was dead. I didn't know what to do."