Part 16

Jarrod was in his private palace looking out over the calm streets of Minstral, then he looked at Havan academy in the distance. Only a few days ago, fate had crowned a new Maiden, and the Order had kneeled before her without question as they have for as long as Jarrod could remember. Jarrod was lost in his own thoughts when Isabel entered and kneeled before him.

Jarrod: Rise and speak Isabel.

Isabel: *stands up* Father I've been meaning to ask, why does our goddess force us to associate with these petty thugs?

Jarrod: *his brow furrows* Are you questioning my wisdom?!

Isabel: N-no father, never.

Jarrod: Good *stands up and starts walking* So, how go our operations in the streets?

Isabel: Right on schedule.

Jarrod: Our search and rescue crews back in Vale?

Isabel: All is well.

Jarrod: Excellent, you may go daughter.

Jarrod enters a room off the main hall, the room was dome shaped, had a shallow pool of water at the center, and was dimly lit with only a few candles. The room's only occupant was an aged woman whose visage was hidden by a long flowing shroud.

Jarrod: Wise prophet, show me the future of the Order.

Prophet: As you wish master Jarrod.

The prophet reaches into her shroud and pulls out a fistful of deep red powder, she then throws it into the pool, causing the water to boil for a moment and stop.

Jarrod: Well, what do you see?

Prophet: Yes, I see it. The order's fate swings in the balance, with this a new future must unfold. A daughter of greatness, though illegitimate, with help from allies, turns new to old, She will bring about the turn, Or this world will truly burn. Jarrod, you must beware, the order's fate rests aware, in the hands, of one, you, hate.

Jarrod: But, that's impossible, Kayla is a fool and a heretic, she can't be the Order's future!

Prophet: I have never steered the Order wrong before master Jarrod.

Jarrod: You are foolish! *starts walking away*

Prophet: No one can escape destiny, not even you!

Kayla was having trouble sleeping, the surviving warriors who had forsaken the Order after Cinder took over were scrambling to seal Longblade Garrison to protect it from a raging blizzard outside. Kayla was cold, confused, and had no idea what to do, but sleep claimed her eventually. When she awoke, she was on a blasted battle ground, blood ran in rivers everywhere and she witnessed survivors like Christine and Helen being butchered by knights of the Order, whose armor was drenched in blood and whose eyes were filled with wicked glee. In the middle of it all however was her former father Jarrod. Kayla reached for her pike, and found it wasn't there, so she threw out a sword of light, which Jarrod deflected with ease. She threw another, and another, but it didn't slow Jarrod down at all. Kayla fell to her knees in exhaustion just as Jarrod reached her.

Jarrod: *raised his glaive* You are a disgrace to everything the Order stands for!

Jarrod brought his glaive down on Kayla, but before it could touch her, she catapulted off her bed screaming. Kayla looked around and found she was drenched in a cold sweat. Kayla then heard someone knocking at the door.

Helen: Kayla, Kayla!

Kayla: Um, come in.

Helen: *enters* The blizzard has subsided, and we need new orders.