20. ugly truth

Ever since Draco and Pansy started going out together, things have changed. He's never seen or heard anything about Hermione Granger ever since, but he did try to ruin their plans in regards to Umbridge's requests.

He thought he was on top of his game, and to think that he could make his father proud. Oddly enough, he hasn't getting any coungratulation message from his mother. The only prominent words were left for her to say was, "I hope you're doing well, and I hope you're doing the right thing"

Sadly, his fifth year popularity did not go as planned. After Harry Potter exposed the death eaters, slytherins have become both scared and mad at the boy who lived, and some even wished Malfoy to step Potter down once and for all.

But then again after all the hatred he has had with the trio, he'd still look at Hermione differently, even from a far. Wishing and hoping that his crush on her would just dissapear already. And so, he let the afflicted curse on him control him as much as possible during his fifth year.

And there they are, exiting the hogwarts express after their year five. Draco was holding Pansy's hand as she was telling stories, but Draco wasn't completely listening at all, he found Hermione, taking care of each and every one of the first years as they exit the train.

"See you soon, Hermione!" said the little girl, hugging her. "Aw, I'll see you too" Hermione kissed the girl's forehead.

"Draco, Draco, are you listening?" Pansy shook his arm. "What? of course I am"

"Okay, where was I... Before quidditch, I was actually hoping that we could go get drinks down at the three broomsticks, but I didn't really see you that time" said Pansy. "I was busy" Draco retorted, moving along though his eyes were glued onto Hermione.

He hated the way she talked, he hated the way she was brave, he hated the fact that she's outsmarted him everytime, but mostly, he hated the way he couldn't help but look at her, in all her purity and kindness-- and it's killing him inside.

"Draco?" Pansy looked back at him, and she automatically knew that he was looking at Hermione. "Let's go?" she asked in a low, sad voice.

"Y-yeah" he nodded.

***

months and weeks have passed, nights became a bit more colder than summer, and september was approaching on Malfoy's doorstep. His holiday however, consisted much of emptiness now that his father was sent to azkaban, his mother circling her room and worried, but she'd never show that side to her own son.

Draco loved his mother. She looked even paler, and gray hair strands became prominent, wrinkles showing, and sometimes, even sometimes at night, he would hear her cry. Yet everytime he tries to ask what's wrong, she'll say she's fine.

One day, a surprise visit has come around, since Narcissa had finally gone out the house for the first time in a while, she came home with a visitor.

"Draco?" Narcissa's voice echoed around the manor, as Draco stood outside of his bedroom door, and down the stairs. He looked back at the woman standing beside his mother, her hair was bushier than Hermione's, her skin was white as snow, but her eyes looked like death. and so does her clothes.

"Ah, Draco! I haven't seen you for so long, my dear!" the woman sneered, walking towards him and embracing him. "Draco, this is Bellatrix, your aunt" Narcissa introduced.

"Such a fine young man, he is, Cissy! tell me, who's the lucky girl?" she smirked, patting his cheek.

Hermione. he wished, and thought. "P-parkinson, Pansy Parkinson"