Chapter 9: Scream

Chapter 9

"Shelly?"

I tried to hide my tears as I answered by wiping them on the pillow as I rolled over.

"Lexi?"

"Are you mad at me?" I swear, my heart melted. Something is wrong with me.

Where in this love-forsaken universe is my wall??

Yeah, well Lexi is an expert at knocking those outta the way. I'd look behind Pluto.

Gee, thanks.

"No. How could I be mad at you?"

...When I already love you this much?

"I thought cuz of when I mentioned your sister...?"

"I'm not mad at you."

"Okay." she sounded happier, and sat at the foot of my bed. She opened a box of heaven and offered it to me.

"Pick a donut, any donut."

I grinned suddenly, "I choose... this one!!" I snatched the box away from her and pulled it closer to me.

"Hey! That's my breakfast you got there!" she yelped, taken completely off-guard. Well that took me off-guard!

"You haven't eaten yet??"

"Ummmmmmmmm, no."

"Why???"

"Cuz..."

Cuz she was exhausted and scared silly for you.

"Thanks, Lyssa." I say, grinning with a wink at Lexi, who is playing with her hair.

"Scared silly, huh?"

"Yup." Lexi shivered and stared at me before reaching for a donut.

Well, that's weird.

Not really. You know we thought you were dead for like a full minute right?

Really?

Yes, really, geez girl.

It was that bad?

Ye-es!!

I don't believe you...

Yes, you do, you just don't want to. Here...

An image appeared in my mind of a small crumpled body lying in a heap on the floor in a pool of scarlet liquid.

"Oh."

Dead or not dead?

Dead...

I shivered, and Lexi noticed.

"Are you cold?" I shook my head no at her.

"When do I get out of here?'"

"That depends on how much more you plan on hurting yourself." Dr Michaels (AKA the old dude) walked in, right on cue.

"Is my life just a perfectly scripted movie or something?" I groaned.

Nope. You keep forgetting your lines.

Haha. Nice one.

Dr. Michaels, on the other hand, seemed unsure of what else to say.

He stared numbly at his clipboard.

"The preliminary blood results came back."

Lexi and I both stared at him, our nervousness growing when we saw the expression on his face.