Chapter 34: The Chef Hat and the New White Scarf

Chapter 34

Shelly's POV

When I first woke up, I didn't bother opening my eyes, choosing instead to become aware of my surroundings in other ways. I felt the way that the bed sloped to my right. Somebody was sitting there. A hand stroked my cheek softly, petting me like I was a puppy. The door opened, closed suddenly.

"Are they serving breakfast yet?" I heard Donny ask. He was the one sitting on the bed.

"No, it starts in half an hour. Has she woken up at all?"

"No, not yet."

"Well, why don't you tell her about the breakfast cookies Chef 'Pumba' bakes and see if it brings her out of unconsciousness?"

"What if she never wakes up?" Lexi didn't answer right away, and Donny gripped my hand extra hard.

"She will wake up. She has to." She finally said, moving towards the bathroom. Her footsteps seemed unnaturally loud in the echo-y room. Donny sighed and asked, "Why don't you change out here? I'll take the bathroom so if she does wake up, she won't get an eyeful." He smirks, I can clearly hear that he thinks I would enjoy such an experience. I can imagine him holding it over my head, if he knew I was awake, wanting me to beg him for a glimpse.

In truth, I want that white boy fully covered when the sun is shining on him. He glows, kind of like the vampires in Twilight.

When I finally opened my eyes, the light nearly blinded me. I smiled, remembering the short period of time in which I couldn't see at all. A little light in my eyes didn't hurt me any. I squinted a little, trying to decipher where I was.

"Hi," my voice croaked from being unused, "What happened?"

"You went unconscious from... whatever was going on. Donny and I brought you back here. That boy is a lot stronger than he looks." She teased me, poking my nose.

"I bet he works out just so he can carry all the pretty girls." I smirked, rolling over to face her more.

"Are you going to get up? Breakfast is soon." She bent down to give me a hug.

"But I still smell like chlorine!" I whined, but before I could add that I wanted to take a shower, she crinkled her nose and said, "I know."

Donny burst out of the bathroom, fully dressed, thank vampires, "SHE'S AWAKE???"

"SHHHHHHHH," Lexi and I admonished, "Shut it, Captain obvious!"

"How are you feeling?" he asked me, ignoring Lexi.

"Just fine. Go get us a table?" I waved his question off, embarrassed. I couldn't believe that I had just passed out, for no reason.

"Okay..." he left the room.

"I'm going to shower." I told Lexi, "You can catch up with him; I will find you guys later."

"Heck no am I leaving you up here by yourself. You scared me." I grabbed my backpack and carried it into the bathroom with me. I tried to ignore the fact that I felt lightheaded as I tried to think of a response to what she had said.

"I'm sorry I scared you guys." I closed the door.

The bathroom floor was cold when I took my socks off. I hated that feeling on my skin. Goosebumps trailed up my arms and legs when I undressed. Being cold was just so... so uncomfortable. The floor of the bathtub was even colder; it felt like I was stepping on ice. I wondered if it would start to melt underneath my feet, pooling in below-freezing puddles that would turn my toes blue and purple.