Chapter 8: Brothers Sisters and Best Friends

Chapter 8

---Lexi's POV----

Charming. She remembered my middle name.

You're in trouble.... ooooooooh

Shut. Up.

"What did I do? I didn't do anything."

"Don't you dare mess with me right now." Shelly didn't look remotely threatening at the moment, partially because I had just seen her giggling at my baby brother, and partially due to the fact that he had tucked her in so well the poor girl could hardly move.

But still.... that glint in her eye.

Dude, she's not kidding. I love and value you, and your life, so please just tell her.

I gulped, well when you put it that way...

"Shelly?"

"Yeah?"

"Don't kill me..."

"Lexi?"

"Yeah?"

"Do you know me at all?!?!?"

"Umm... I don't know, do I?" I asked, suddenly self-concious. She sighed softly and her bangs floated up away from her face.

"Just tell me then." Her voice was quiet and sounded disappointed. I wondered what I had done wrong, but couldn't fathom it.

"Ummm okay..." She settled deeper into her pillows and shut her eyes, seeming to ignore my response until she added, "Start with why the heck you thought it was okay to not tell me that the flowers and card were from your brother as well as the fact that he was the one who carried me?"

"Oh."

Shelly didn't even look at me. The silence hung between us like a betrayal. And I was the one who had betrayed her. I felt awful, like I should be begging for forgiveness. But really, "I didn't think it would be important to you to know that he was my brother."

Shelly's eyes seemed to close even tighter.

"Really? Cuz I'm pretty sure there's some sort of silly girl code rule about it." She said, sounding really hurt, "Something about staying away from your best friend's brothers or whatever."

"Is it better if I give you permission?"

Shelly said nothing and wiggled down farther into the nest of blankets.

"I didn't know, okay? I haven't seen either of them in forever I moved out of there as soon as I turned 18 because my stepfather treated me like a freaking dog. Do this!! Do that!! Do we need a leash for you or can we trust you to keep your hands off of our valuables while we take your brother to the zoo??" Bitter tears I never meant to shed slid down my already tearstained cheeks.

Shelly had turned to face me, her eyes wide open as I continued.

"It's not like Donny ever was a jerk to me, I think he loved-"

"PLEASE tell me that isn't his name!!" Shelly interrupted.

"It isn't. His name is hickey." I snickered. Shelly wasn't quite so amused.

"What's his name?"

"That's classified."

"What do you want?"

"Peace, love, and eternal happiness. "

"Lexi!!! Tell me his name!!!!"

"Still classified, oddly enough."