Chapter 13: The Perfectionist's Touch

Chapter 13

Shelly's POV

---•-----•---

It was hard for me to sit there patiently in the wheelchair and face people's stares. I had blocked Lyssa out and I was trying to think.

But it was hard.

I hate being so... so... so helpless!! So freaking useless!! I hate it!!

I sat there, motionless, trying to keep my expression unreadable as we passed face after face after face turned in my direction.

Do they know about the-

Drat. I can't even think the word. I'm so stupid. Drama queen...

I sat there, absolutely still, rigid in the seat.

The cancer.

The cancer the cancer the cancer the cancer the cancer the cancer....

The unknown strain of cancer.

How the fudgebiscuits and cinnabuns do they know it's cancer anyways????????

Maybe I do want to go into the medical field when I grow up, and I can find out how.

Raisins!!!!! I still think I'm gonna grow up....

I suppressed the sob before it could shake my body.

Suddenly, we stopped.

"Lexi?"

It was hard to act normal when your friend freezes up in the middle of a hallway for no apparent reason.

"Lexi??" I hissed, trying to glance back at her.

What the heck is going on?

Don't mention the name Jeremy. Or Robbie.

Umm ok...? Why not??

There was no answer.

LYSSA???

Oh whatever. Forget you.

Mentally, I stuck my tongue out at her, while making a point of not looking at anyone.

Mmhmm yeah people this is totally normal...

Look away and MIND YOUR OWN BEESWAX!!

Suddenly I realized that my mind block against Lyssa hadn't worked.

Huh.

"Lexi???"

Finally, she stirred, and I hissed her name more urgently, "LEXI???"

"It's okay Shelly."

"What's wrong?? What happened??" I asked frantically, trying to catch a glimpse of her face.

She started walking again.

"I'll tell you later!!!!" her words came out as an almost hiss.

"You scared me!" I accused.

I heard a couple of pre-teens snickering and briefly tuned into their conversation:

"Did you see?"

"-Star Wars-"

"Ugly-(bleep) wrinkly legs. Eurgh."

My mind always seemed to edit language for me. One of the perks of being oh-so-innocent.

Snickering filled the air.

What happened?

We moved past them and into an elevator. Ugh, it's awful... I can't wait to get outside...

Outside is awful...

I never saw it this way before.

OMYGOSH they're everywhere...

The cages.

The perfectionist's touch.

Nothing is the way it should be, but everything is right where it belongs.

Perfectly trained flowers, swirling in designs.

Perfectly trained trees, straight and tall, without the weight of lovely vines draping over them as they stood in their cold iron prisons reaching up to the sky.

Perfectly trained me, sitting here, unable to get up. Not screaming, not crying, not getting up to run away or throw things or try to kill myself.

Sitting there like a decrepit old lady, oh-so-peacefully enjoying the beautiful enslaved garden...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Really short chapter... Sorry, but I needed to do a little of Shelly's point of view but at the moment Im like on a Lexi's POV roll everything going on right now will flow better from her point of view...

Love you guys;)

Love you more if you vote & comment!!!!!:D see ya in my comments right?;).