Chapter 42; Dear Butterfly

Ummm okay so I don't really know what to write. This is Donny, by the way. I am at the hospital. They took Shelly into emergency open heart surgery, but as they wheeled her away, she gave this to me.

I read it.

All of it.

How could I not have known?

I'm also not exactly sure who I should address this to. Shelly always seemed addressed her entries to the world.

Well, Shelly, you are my world. As I am sitting here writing this, I am sitting across the room from your family, well your new family. Mr. Wilson, Lexi, Timon and Pumba, Emmet from the grocery store, do you remember him? Everybody is crying. Nurses walking by, the baby in Emmet's wife's stroller.

But I am not.

Because despite what the doctors keep saying about you having a 1% chance of surviving this procedure, I hope you will. I know you will. And when you wake up, I'll give you back your notebook, and then you will ask me to read it to you, so you can rest.

I will read every word that you, Lexi, or myself have written. And then, then I shall cry.

But if you die, like the doctors are practically yelling at me to believe, I will be nothing.

Nothing.

Nothing without the one that I love.

I'm sorry that I never brought myself to say it to you in person. While you were awake, I mean.

But I love you with every fiber of my being that knows how to love. I love all of you with all of me, just like that song we always sang along to on the radio.

And nothing, nothing, will ever change that.

I promise.

I apologize for my terrible writing skills, Butterfly. I'm in a bit of shock at the moment as well. I just wanted you to know that I love you.

You are my world, and I love you.

See you soon...

///// I wrote this forever ago but never published it/////