Chapter 24: Happier

Chapter 24

Shelly's Point of View

._.-._.-._.-._.-._.-._.-._.-._.-._.-._.

An hour later, Donny had bribed me into laying back down (with a cookie, you weirdos. Not whatever you were thinking that is not a chocolate chip cookie from the cafeteria) so that Dr. Michaels could talk to me.

I must admit, I kind of zoned out.

Like, um, the second he opened his mouth. ...Hey, I know it's rude but nobody is perfect, right?

Except maybe Lexi. She doesn't have a perfect life, but she's a perfectly beautiful, beautifully perfect person.

She really just is.

Donny is too sassy to be perfect. He should have brought the cookies faster, duh.

If I say he's perfect he will hold it over my head. Forever. ...or at least until, I, die. Yeah. That...

"Shelly?"

My head jerked as my eyes refocused on what was around me.

"Huh?"

"Are you okay?" Donny whispered, his hand brushing against mine on my bed. I wished he would grab it and interlock my fingers with his so I wouldn't feel so alone. I didn't answer him, because I didn't want to worry him by saying no, and I didn't want to lie, either.

My breathing quickened and deepened at my imagining of the thoughts that might be going through his head.

What if he's thinking, 'Well then. If she won't tell me if she's okay then I don't care.' Or what if he knows that me not replying means that I'm not okay? Why isn't he holding my hand? What if he doesn't care and he's only asking to pretend he cares so he can get close to me and break my heart before I die by shunning me and laughing at me, the pathetically naive girl who put her trust in all of the wrong people and then died? What if he would be right?

Okay, Shelly, deep breaths.

"Shelly?" Donny whispered again. I turned to look at him, forcing my lips upward in a small, hopefully friendly smile, "Yeah?" I realized that I missed being called Butterfly.

It was unique and special.

"Are you okay?"

"Sure." I breathed painfully, pushing the word out merely to satisfy him.

Frog, I hate lying.

(Yes, that says frog...)

"Are you sure?" he asked, staring with those green eyes.

I raised my eyebrows and caught him with my glance.

"Okay, okay." he said, his mouth twisting upwards in a huge, triumphant grin.

Oblivious boy.

He's so cute when he smiles though.

Don't you wish he could tell though? Then he could help, cheer you up or something.

Because everybody wishes for someone to be able to see right through them.

Maybe, maybe not. But you do.

I sighed loudly, exasperated with myself for being right and not liking it. Something was seriously wrong with me.

No duh, Sherlock. Who's in the hospital bed dying?

"...So, Shelly, do you agree?" Dr. Michaels finished with a broad grin, looking like he had just offered me Six Flags Discovery Kingdom all to myself for a day.