Chapter 41; Take me Back

I woke up in the tent, my two most favorite people in the world on either side of me. I was curled up against Lexi, but holding hands with Donny.

It would've been perfection, if not for the feeling.

The bird's chirping had an ominous sort of mood to it, and the sun beating on the tent seemed to be trying to roast me alive.

"Guys-" I choked out, terrified.

Lexi woke first, her voice coming over as a sleepy mumble.

"Huh?"

"I think-" I forced myself to swallow, "I think something is wrong." Lexi sat up immediately, turning to face me and read my expression. She took note of the tenseness in my whole frame and my silent tears.

"Donny." she pushed his leg.

"Mrruawahduhwhat?" he muttered to wakefulness, yawning.

"Something's wrong. You need to take me back to the hospital." I couldn't keep the panic out of my voice.

"What??? No, Shelly, you'll be fine. You're ok."

"TAKE ME BACK!!" I screamed, shattering the ominous stillness of he morning. "SOMETHING IS GOING TO HAPPEN GODDAMN YOU I'M SCARED TAKE ME BACK!!!!"

I think it was the cussing that terrified them more than anything else.

"Take me back," I sobbed.

They forced me to sit still in the backseat, for almost 2 whole hours while they packed up camp as best they could.

I tell you, that even as I am writing this, I feel death creeping upon me. I guess I should explain now, since this may be my last entry. This, this is the notebook that Donny gave me. I've asked both of them to contribute to the story, at times, and for the most part, Lexi has been more willing than Donny. But his contributions are short and sweet don't you think?

Maybe.

But this is my story.

My name is Shelly Edwards, and I am 15 years old. What do you know about me now?

Lexi claims that anyone who knows me is forced to love me. They have no choice.

I'm sorry for that.

I'm sorry that I'm going to die.

It's a good thing I'm not going to let either of them read this until I'm already gone, they'll probably scold me for apologizing and tell me off for saying I'm going to die.

Well, world, what do you have to say?

Tell it to the rain,

Tell it to the sky,

Forget the pain,

And the teardrop in your eye

Tell it to the ones who've gone before

The ones who left and sinned no more

Tell it to the one knocking at your door,

Begging to be known and begging to be loved

Tell it to the rain,

Tell it to the sky,

Scream it from the housetops

Make sure they know that I,

I did not go down easy

Will I just become another dot on the pages of this world? Will you remember me?