Chapter 26: Too Young For Love

Chapter 26

----------------------------------

---Shelly's Point of View---

----------------------------------

I. Am. So. Mean.

I can't believe I just did that to Donny. I was so happy he cared, so so so happy. But as soon as he asked me out, I thought of Adam, and the next thing I knew, Donny was leaving.

I am officially the meanest person in the world.

"Donny-" I whispered, intending to call him back.

"Shelly, what's wrong?" I can't believe she's still acting like my best friend instead of Donny's older sister, who should be kicking my butt for hurting him like that.

"I just can't stop thinking about-"

"Adam?" Just hearing someone else's voice form his name sent a tingling fire shivering through me, traveling down my spine towards every cell in my body and echoing in the beating of my heart.

"Adam..." I threw myself at my pillow to hide my face in shame. Why can't I just forget him??

"Shelly?" Lexi nudged me, "who do you like more?"

"You." I stated, avoiding the true purpose of her question. She giggled and poked me, "Okay, now pick a boy."

"Harry Potter."

Isn't he already taken?"

"Yes. By me."

"Shelly."

"Lexi."

"Which boy do you like more, Donny or Adam?" I cringed when she said Adam's name. I hated that just hearing his name made my heart beat quicken and a happy anxiety rise inside of me.

"Donny is so perfect and so sweet-" I whispered, "But even hearing Adam's name makes my heart go crazy. When people say 'Adam and Eve', I get jealous of Eve. When I hear his voice, it makes my insides jump with excitement and when he's close to me they grow perfectly still with the 'rightness' of the moment... But how much of that feeling must be wishful thinking? What if it's just because I want to feel this way that I feel this way about him? This isn't fair to Donny at all. I also haven't been close with Adam for many many years."

"You know you're just trying to talk yourself out of it, right, and that never works." Lexi said slowly.

"Well it should!!!" I burst out, angrily. It was stupid of me to have liked him, let alone to have hung on to him for this long. No- not him- held on to the memory of him. I am so pathetic...

I became aware that Lexi was laughing at me, still smiling brightly at me even after what I had done to her brother. She brushed a strand of my hair out of my face, "You silly goose."

"Huh?" She smiled at me as I stared blankly at her, she was just so beautiful and her eyes glowed softly when she looked at me. I didn't think that she believed me when I called her beautiful, but she really just was, just like how she was really an angel.

"Earth to Shelly!!"

"Call back later."

"Lexi to Shelly?"

"HIIIIIIIIII." I gushed, exaggerating in order to hide what I was really feeling. I should've known that wouldn't work with Lexi, though. She knew me way too well already.

"Shelly, don't that."

"Do what?"

"Pretend. With me."