Chapter 3: Rulebreakers and Chocolate Bars

Short chapter sorry but I'm publishing two at once... Please comment, vote, etc... :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Chapter 3

In spite of myself, I am shocked.

They're going out to eat while I am in the hospital???? Can you believe it??

I let a huge sigh escape. Now I have absolutely no idea what you're thinking. Maybe you think they hate me for a reason. Maybe you're on my side and think they're absolute buttheads.

Brown green brown green chocolate green brown veggies gross brown green brown green basketball Prince Charming brown green brown green brown green...

"Do I wanna be strong or let someone else carry me?"

By the time the door opens a few minutes later, my head has thoroughly confused myself and my heart can't make up it's mind because it refuses to forget or remember... (Yeah figure that one out...)

"What's your name?" I ask suddenly, realizing she has never introduced herself.

"You can call me Lexi."

"Hi Lexi," I smiled at her weakly.

"Hi," she said with a radiant smile in return.

I can't see what is on the tray but my stomach is howling for it. As it's protests grow louder, she giggles as my attempts to shush it become increasingly comical.

"I broke the rules a little..." she said suddenly. My stomach and I both shut up, "What?"

"You're supposed to have hospital food..."

"Ewwwwwwwwww..."

"But there's a steak house across the street..." I perked up immediately.

"I got you what I would have ordered I hope you don't mind!" She spoke in a rush and seems slightly anxious as she puts the hospital tray with a styrofoam take out box and drink cup in front of me. Slowly, I open the box.... And see exactly what I would have ordered!!

"WHAT?!?" I gasp. She assumes that I don't want the steak and mashed potatoes with a side of the potato crisps, and her face fell and moved to take it back, but I added, "this is exactly what I would have wanted!!" I looked at the cup, "Lemonade?" She nodded ecstatically, beaming. She pulled out her own bag and asked if she minded if she ate in here too. Of course I didn't!

As we ate, I thought about the kindness of one nurse, and how it changed my world.

"You're pretty when you smile." I mumble aloud. She seemed shocked, but smiled kindly at me and kept eating. It reminded me of...

*

"Shelly!! Shelly!!" I giggled innocently over my sandwich as we hid in the bushes. "Shellyyyyyyy." a voice whispered into my ear, tickling me. Suddenly, the footsteps grew nearer and we both froze.

"Shelly!!"

I refused to move, pressing against the warm body next to me. Slowly, the footsteps faded away. Thankfully, no comment was made about the bush being big enough to hide the two of us without being so close.

"Shelly?" His voice was a murmuring that made my heart sing.

"Adam?"

"You're my best friend..." I beamed, my heart glowing.

"You're mine, too."

"Wanna play tag?"

"You're it!!" I burst out of the bushes laughing as he chased me down the sidewalk. For a few seconds, I turned around and ran backwards.