Chapter 18: Loving a Stranger

Chapter 18

Shelly's POV

~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~

I woke up to Sheldon changing position beside me. He was moving slowly, being obvious about trying not to wake me.

Too late.

He settled down again, and his breathing slowed. I noticed that the sunlight still streamed into the room from the window.

His arms were wrapped around me, and I was leaned into his warm embrace.

How many times do you think I had silently begged someone to hold me like this? A lot. I myself don't even know.

It wasn't like I had just wanted a guy to hold me like this, either. I just wanted to be held close, anybody practically would've done. Held close to someone else so that I couldn't escape, because they wanted me to stay there.

I'm sure if I struggled he would let go instantly.

I didn't feel trapped, I felt safe. Safer than when I lay in my room, hugging my pillow with blankets wrapped all around me- the closest to a hug I had gotten in a while.

Obsessed with hugs much?

...Maybe. But there's a reason for it.

Oh?

Is it weird that I'm talking to myself in my head? Or maybe everyone does that. I wouldn't know. No one has ever told me they do, and I can't read minds, gosh darn it.

Except that one time...

Forget that!

I remember one sort-of friend I had had, many years ago. She was apologizing for something, I can't remember what, but when I didn't forgive her right away she pinned my arms to my sides and clung to me until my heart melted.

So warm, so soft, so safe. Then she let go, she didn't know how I was feeling. I didn't make any sound or tell her about it.

How could I?

How had I have possibly thought I could afford not to?

There is this weird sensation in my heart that I can't quite describe... that goes on for several seconds until the door opens and Sheldon stiffens up beside me.

"What are you doing??" It's Lexi.

"How'd you get in here?? Are you taking advantage of her?? What the- ...what the heck is going on?" her voice had dropped to normal tones as she seemed to choke on her words.

What? Lexi, what's wrong?

"What? Take advantage of her?? No! Lexi, no it's not like that!!"

"Then what is it like, Sheldon?" Her voice was cold, with a barely detectable hint of hurt and brokenness.

"She was upset, she just wanted me to hold her, they were yelling in the hallway, her family hates her she needed me to hold her and then she fell asleep and I promise I haven't done anything to her except hold her like this because she asked me to and she had that look on her face and-" he stopped to take a huge breath, as he had been speaking somewhat rapidly in a panicked way.

I could almost picture Lexi's face softening, those eyes seeming to pierce his thoughts as she determined if he was telling the truth as he continued, "I promise I would never hurt her I swear she's fine, still sleeping, look-" for the first time, Lexi spoke up.

"She's not sleeping."

"What?" Sheldon's voice marked my own surprise.

"She wouldn't have been able to sleep through our conversation. She just didn't want to say anything. Right,