Chapter 27: Red

Chapter 27

*<•>*<•>*<•>*<•>*<•>*<•>*<•>*

Shelly's Point Of View

*<•>*<•>*<•>*<•>*<•>*<•>*<•>*

Everything is a carefully planned blur. The kind of blur that makes sense while you're in a certain area, you can make sense of it, but as soon as you move away it's impossible.

To recapture the exact details of the last few weeks would be a horrible, time consuming mess.

So, welcome to the present, (past when you'll be reading it,) the first day of our road trip!!!

Yay.

Road trips.

Why am I here, again?

I'm here because of the two other people in this too hot and stuffy car.

Right.

"It's hot in here!" Donny whined, a sound that was becoming all-too familiar.

"And I'm hungry." he moved in the backseat, behind both Lexi, who was driving, and mine's range of vision.

"I need something to hit him with." I muttered.

"You've only been in a car with him for a few hours." Lexi laughed at me.

"It's too much." I mumbled darkly, "He never shuts up."

"You guys, it's hot!! And there isn't anything to eat in here!!" he informed us. Lexi and I looked at each other and she shook her head at me. I tried to calm down the part of me that had already climbed into the backseat with Donny to begin the process of murdering him.

"Can't we stop?" He asked and my hand snaked around the back of my seat and slapped his sweaty face of it's own free will.

"She hit me!!" Donny tattled, and I growled at him.

"Shut up then." Lexi said, matter-of-factly.

A small smile crept onto my face that she was still on my side.

"It's not fair!! You always take her side!!" Donny whined, causing hot anger to rise within me again.

"Dude." Lexi made eye contact with him, briefly, before returning her eyes to the sun-heated stretch of black, dusty asphalt before us, "If me asking her not to hit you telepathically isn't working, you have succeeded in makin her more angry at you than she loves me. Do you realize how angry that is?? If for one second, I told her to let loose on you to make you shut up, she would kill you, okay?? SHUT IT." she finished, pulling sharply to the right to get in the turning lane for an exit off the freeway into a small town.

"It's too hot for fall." Lexi panted when we stopped at a light. I glared into the backseat to see if Donny dared comment.

He didn't.

I held a mini staring contest with him as Lexi pulled into a gas station. It was only after he lost that I glanced up. It was a 7/11.

"SLUSHIEEEEEEE!!!" I shrieked, jumping out of the hot truck to beg Lexi for it with my eyes.

She waved me towards the building before I could even start, "Go on, weirdo." she grinned.

I skipped towards the store and it wasn't until I stopped to open the door that I realized Donny was right behind me. He reached around me to hold open the door, and while I didn't acknowledge him, I accepted his apology while stepping quickly into the tiny, air-conditioned shack.