Chapter 19: Butterfly

Chapter 19

Lexi's POV

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*

John Michael Wetherton

258-9883^

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[^ do not call this number. I made it up]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I stared at the small slip of paper in my hands. Reading a syllable per beep of the machine.

John- Mich-ael- Weth-er-ton

2-5-8 -9-8-8-3

Donny was tapping his foot impatiently, and I felt my anger rising in me.

"Why did you slap me?" he asked suddenly, and I looked up at him, perching on his chair like he always had as a child, and my anger evaporated instantly.

"Donny-"

"You've never hit me before. Ever." he continued, rocking back and forth.

"It's why I trusted you so much. Mommy hit me and Daddy hit me but you never hurt me. Not once, no matter what I did."

"Donny-"

"Why?"

"Shelly."

"I don't understand." his perfect green eyes stared at me, hurt and confused and scared and my heart gave a painful twinge within my chest.

"You hurt her-"

"What?? No!! How??"

"You let go!! You pushed her away!!! When she first opened her eyes they were so bright, so happy, but then you let go and pulled away from her like she was diseased or something!!! The darkness and the pain- Why?? How can you do that to her???"

What Donny does next I by far didn't expect. It breaks my heart to watch. He leans forward and rests his head in his hands and a few seconds later his shoulders shake.

"Donny, don't cry."

"And why not?" He moans.

I feel more terrible by the second. I never wanted to be like my parents, and here I'd gone and done it. I never wanted to be the reason he cried, and yet, here it was happening. I kneel down by his chair.

"Donny, I'm sorry. I care far too much for that girl to let even you hurt her. I don't want to hurt you, but you have to understand." He raises his eyes from his hands, his eyelashes entangled with tears, "I know, Lexi. I care about her, too. Don't you see that?"

"Donny, I-"

"Do you think she hates me?"

"What?? No!"

"Do you hate me?"

"Donny!!! No!!! I'm sorry, listen to me!!!"

"Why?" it hurt so much to see him sit there so listlessly, but behind me someone was trying to speak and Donny and I were both at her side within seconds.

"I'm sorry." she muttered, twisting between the sheets. "I'm sorry for being me."

"What??? No!!! Shelly!!" Sheldon grabbed her hand and clung to it for dear life.

"Shelly please please don't be sorry. No no no, please. You shouldn't be sorry for being yourself. I- I... Iloveyou. Please don't apologize for making us love you."

But Shelly lay there motionless on the bed, and Donny turned to me helplessly, "Is she awake???"

I shook my head, she couldn't be. Her breathing pattern hasn't changed even a little and she would've felt obligated to respond had she heard Donny's confession.