Chapter 16: The Definition of Hope

Chapter 16

Shelly's POV

•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•

Chirp-chirp, chirp-chirp.

"Unnnnnnnnh." I felt the sound escape more than heard it.

What happened?

I was aware of my left cheek, pressed against the dry wall so that it was probably imprinted on my face. Sunlight was lighting up the room so much that it shone through my eyelids.

"Ow..." I winced, my left hip throbbing where it was in contact with the hard tile floor.

Suddenly, the light dimmed, as if a cloud had covered the sun and I dared to open my eyes. Lexi was still asleep on the bed, and I saw dried tears crusted on her cheeks.

I glanced towards the digital clock on the nightstand, turning carefully as my cheek peeled away from the wall.

7:34 a.m.

I let my head fall against the wall with a slight thud. I wanted to sleep!

Owwwwww. Get up!!!

My hip was in serious pain. So was my leg, and I gasped when I tried to move. Slowly, I shifted from my tilted position so that my weight was no longer on my hip bone.

Tears spilling over my cheeks, I gave in.

"Lexi?" I asked, and almost immediately she turned around, "yeah Shelly?"

"Ummm..." I bit my lip and looked down, embarrassed, "Can you help me?"

She cocked an eyebrow at me, but I got a little frustrated and snapped, "Awww come on you slept on my bed all night help me up!!"

She grinned lazily at me before flinging the covers back. "Does this mean I get to baby you today?" She winked at me, but before I could shout heck no, a strange guy with creepy nerd glasses came in uninvited.

"Absolutely not!" he asserted, and just like that, I wanted to be babied. Lexi seemed to take this offensively too, but she wasn't me and therefore asked his name while death glaring him shamelessly.

"Dr. Ronald Simmons!" the dude wasn't really jumping up and down, was he? He held out a hand to Lexi as he continued emphatically, "I graduated at the top of my year in medical college!!"

"Medical college?" I stared at him, shocked. Either this guy had never really gone to college or the dumb idiot couldn't remember the name of his own fudging school.

The word fudge made school seem a lot more appealing. Do you think there's a school where you do nothing but make and eat-

"I'm here to see Little Miss Shelly here through her first round of tests!!!"

Gag. Me.

He glanced at the pair of us beaming, before finally noticing I was on the floor.

"What on earth are you doing down there?"

Better yet, shoot me immediately. I don't freaking care if it's painful I need this to end right now!!

"Staring at a demon disguised as a doctor."

He started to write on his clipboard as he muttered aloud to himself, "Seems... To... Be... Having... hallucinations...."

Lexi tapped his shoulder and said pointedly, "You might want to try 'great sense of sarcasm' to explain her last comment, mister."