19

Jessica

The phone was ringing off the hook, as I continued to put clients on hold while proceeding to go back to the other conversations. Did all the criminals in the city just suddenly decide they'd commit all their crimes at the same time. Clients were calling about, rape, burglary, domestic violence, assault, you name it. I could hardly keep up with everyone calling.

I was getting yelled at and cussed out, turning down people with small crimes. It was hard telling some little old lady that Mr. Styles didn't handle small burglary cases. If it wasn't high profile, Harry would throw the case away like an old sandwich. I could barely breath between Hello, thank you for calling, Styles Law Firm.

My throat was dry, and my finger sore from pressing hold. My shoes were thrown off hours ago, walking back and forth from the file wall, and to my desk. I was typing up a report for Harry to look at, when the calls had finally stopped. So focused on inputting all the incident information, I didn't hear Harry enter my office.

My eyes dart up when I heard my door close loudly. His eyes are tired, and his face is unreadable. I give him a small smile that he doesn't return as I stand and walk over to him.

"Hey,"

He doesn't respond, instead, "I've got court, I need the files for Dunlap."

"Oh, right, ok. Hold on." Making my way across the room to the cabinet, I take out the Dunlap file bringing it back over and sticking it into my bag. I slip my heels back on, redoing my ponytail. Walking back toward Harry whose face is now one of confusion, as I wait to leave.

"What?"

"Uh, where are you going? The day isn't over yet," His brows are low over his eyes, as he stares at me.

"You said you had court. I mean I know it's my job to know when you do, and I'm so sorry I forgot. But I remember going over the case a few days ago, so I'm all caught up." I smile up at him.

"Jess, the guy in my office is here, he'll be accompanying me today." He holds his hand out for the file. I grab it out of my purse placing it in his hand.

"Please finish your work before you leave the office tonight. I should be back around 3," and with that he leaves me stunned.

I jump up at the sound of a door slamming, my knee hitting the bottom of my desk in my haste. Groaning at the pain and the bruise that is sure to form, I squint my eyes in confusion. There are scattered papers everywhere. There's a half-eaten chicken sandwich, and bag of chips on my desk. My computer lights up with emails, and reports, and important files, that need to be copied, printed, faxed, or filed away.

Grimacing at the sight of my hair, that is halfway out of the low ponytail it was in earlier. I rub the sleep from my eyes, looking over to my office door at the sound of a light knock.

"Come in." My voice is groggy and deep and it surprises me. I clear my throat speaking again. "Come in."

The door begins to open, and the older man I saw in Harry's office earlier stands before me. Only this time his eyes are softer, and a small smile rests on his lips. Immediately I jump from my seat ready to walk over to greet him. I stop myself, quickly realizing that I must've kicked my heels off in the middle of my sleep. I remain behind my desk, smiling awkwardly at the man, while I attempt to find my shoes and slip them on.

"Hi, Mr--" I trail off realization hitting me that I have absolutely no idea who he is, only that he must be very important from the way everyone was acting earlier. He chuckles at my surely confused face, and takes step closer, to me.