Chapter 42

Chapter 42: Tests

Tests

A loud snarl ripped from my mouth as I lost control over all of my senses. Everything, from my vision to my thought process, became blurry. The only thing on my mind being the blood.

Blood. Sweet smelling blood.

I want it. I want it. It is mine. MINE!

I didn't know what happened next, but I suddenly felt a gentle pair of cold hands holding me down. I writhed around trying to free myself at first, but the grip they held on me was firm, holding me in place as my mind slowly started to clear. Everything started to readjust itself in my eyes as my brain began to function again.

I blinked several times and remembered where I was and recognized that it was Carlisle who was holding me down against the floor. His face was placid, gold eyes alight with concern. Once he saw that I was coming to, though, he slowly lessened his grip on my wrists and let me up to my feet, helping me back to the chair, which I slumped into. Carlisle stood at the front of his desk, one hand rubbing his chin thoughtfully as he studied me.

After a moment of silence, Carlisle spoke. "How do you feel, Bella?" he asked in a gentle tone.

I didn't respond at first, waiting for my head to stop spinning. Only then was I able to see and think clearly enough to give Carlisle an actual answer. The scent of blood lingered in the air, but it was far less potent. And rather than draw me, it repulsed me like it always had, making me feel a little lightheaded.

"Alright..." I grunted, trying not to breathe in with my nose.

Carlisle noticed this and cocked his head to the side."Are you certain? Is there anything I can do for you?"

"Do you...think you could take that away?" I asked, pointing to the bloody piece of paper. I covered my nose. "It's making me sick."

"Certainly," he replied.

Carlisle blurred over to his desk and in seconds was holding onto a box of matches. He grabbed the sheet of bloodstained paper and set it on fire. Once it had been burned away he blew the fire out and tossed the remains into the trash. I breathed a sigh of relief when the scent of blood was gone and I was feeling normal once again. Or rather, as close to normal as I could be, anyways.

"Very interesting," Carlisle murmured. He turned to appraise me. "Tell me, Bella, what was going through your mind when you saw the blood?"

"Nothing at first," I admitted. "I know that it drew me in, even if I couldn't smell it at first. But then I was suddenly able to smell it and my mind just went blank. The only thing I could think of was the blood and how badly I wanted it. Everything just seemed to blur together when I went for it, I lost complete control."

He nodded in understanding, pursing his lips as he mulled over what I'd said.

"Bella, did you feel a burning sensation in your throat?" he asked.

I shook my head. "No. But..." I paused for a moment.

Carlisle nodded curiously. "Yes?"

"But I did feel a weird burning feeling in my arm," I said, clutching my upper right arm. "It was like my scars were burning when I smelled the blood, but they stopped once I couldn't smell it anymore, just like the odd thirst stopped."

"I see."

"Carlisle?" He looked at me intently. "Is this what it feels like for a normal vampire when they smell blood?"

He nodded. "It is, but the substantial thirst that we have is far stronger. You see, Bella, when we need to feed, we feel a burning sensation in our throats. It starts off small at first and is barely noticeable, but as our time without feeding increases, so too does the strength of the burn. In a manner of speaking, the burn that we feel makes our ravenous thirst even more uncontrollable."