Chapter 48

hapter 48: Flames

Flames

As the wave of fire curved downwards, the three trapped vampires seemed to snap from their state of shock and actually attempted to move away. Victoria was the fastest to react and leapt into the air, spinning so as to avoid the flames. James and Sarah moved seconds later, both rolling out of the way to avoid the column of fire. The wave crashed into the ground, missing all of its intended targets. But Amara was far from being finished.

Amara moved her arms upward, palms opened up and facing the sky. The flames that had hit the ground extended outwards, half going right, the other half going left like arms. The arms of fire shot upwards, then forwards, one arm aimed for Victoria, the other for James and Sarah.

"Move!" Victoria shouted.

Victoria jumped over the tendril of fire, gracefully spinning in mid-air again to avoid it. James ducked under the one that was after him while Sarah was able to step aside, her eyes wide as the tendrils of fire collided into one another, forming a large sphere. Amara clenched both of her hands and the large sphere dissipated into nothingness, leaving just the circular wall of fire that surrounded her and the three nomadic vampires.

Amara ground her teeth in frustration and quickly reached into her left pant pocket, pulling out another match. Victoria snarled as she prepared to strike the match, charging full force at her redheaded opponent, both James and Sarah following behind her.

Victoria lunged with bared teeth at Amara, but Amara smirked and ducked under her while she started to spin. Midway through her spin Amara used her left hand to grab onto Victoria's leg, then used the momentum of her spin to fling Victoria into her two comrades. The evil redhead collided with James and Sarah, causing a vampire train wreck.

Quickly Amara grabbed the match she had pulled out and extended her right index finger. At a speed that I could barely see, she struck the match against her finger, lighting it instantly. I watched as Amara brought the match close to her face, cocking her head to the side as she appraised the small flame it produced, an odd smile on her face.

James, Sarah and Victoria all clambered to their feet in irritation only to see Amara holding onto a newly lit match. She traded over hands so that she was holding the match in her right and opened the palm of her left hand up. Suddenly the small flame from the match jumped into Amara's hand, floating inches above her opened palm. In mere seconds the small flame grew into the size of a baseball as a smile curled upon Amara's face.

This was an entirely different side to Amara, one that I hadn't seen before or even knew existed for that matter. Questions started pulsing through my mind as I gaped at the sight in front of me, wondering what had triggered this change in persona.

What was going on here? What was up with her? Why the hell was she acting like this?

Amara thrust her left arm forward, the baseball sized fireball shooting out from her palm, turning into a jet of fire. The action was so fast that not even Victoria had a chance to move away, the flame streak scraping her right shoulder and setting ablaze the fur coat that she had loved so dearly. Victoria hissed and tossed the coat off of her as the fire swallowed it up, turning it into little more than a pile of ashes.

The flame streak that had destroyed Victoria's coat surged towards James and Sarah, but both of them were able to narrowly avoid it, though it did singe a portion of James' sleeve. Amara clenched her hand into a fist and the fire suddenly stopped in midair, reforming itself as a sphere in shape. She then turned her flicked her wrist backwards, causing the fireball to swerve back into the palm of her hand.

"You're next," Amara growled, licking her lips.

"Fat chance of that, bitch," Victoria sneered.

"We'll see," Amara replied, cupping the fireball with both of her hands.