Chapter 64

Chapter 64: Lauren

Lauren

My heart was pounding as I slowly neared the door. I didn't know why I was so nervous, but I was and it was driving me insane. Alice was right next to me, her left arm wrapped around my waist, pulling me close to her. Her cool lips were tenderly kissing my neck, cooing in my ear to help relax me, which it did.

"Calm it down, love," Alice cooed again. "It's alright. I'm right here with you and I'm not going anywhere, okay? Take it easy." She wrapped her other arm around me and pulled me into her body, hugging me tightly but lovingly.

I took in a few deep breaths and relaxed into my love's body. "Thanks."

"Any time," she replied, kissing my cheek. "There's no reason to be nervous, though."

"I know, Alice. I can't help it," I mumbled. I took in one last breath. "Alright, let's do this."

Alice nodded and released me, though her arm remained around my waist. I walked the last few steps to the door and, after taking a moment to debate it one last time, knocked on the door three times before pulling my hand back and waiting.

Not a moment later the door opened up and out stepped Charlie, looking a tad grayer than I last remembered him being, wearing his police uniform. His weathered eyes widened when he saw Alice and I standing together and for a brief while he said nothing, clearly trying to figure out what in God's name I was doing there. The silence was a bit awkward, but with Alice by my side, the tension was much easier to deal with.

"Bella," Charlie murmured at last, rubbing the back of his neck. "And Alice, too, I see."

"Chief Swan," Alice greeted in an even tone. I didn't fail to notice that it was still a bit difficult for her to be civil towards him. Then again, I hadn't said anything yet, so I wondered whether I would have the same level of difficulty or not.

"W-wha...what can I, uh, do for you girls?" he asked.

Alice and I looked at each other. Her eyes clearly said "you wanted to do this, so you have to be the one to tell him". I grimaced and shot her a pleading look to help me out, but she shook her head and squeezed me gently in support. Damn it.

"Can we come inside?" I asked, not looking at Charlie. I didn't know if I could face him without all the memories flooding back again. I didn't want that, not at a time like this.

Charlie thought about it. "Sure, come on in." He stepped aside and held the door open for us to go inside, which we did.

Alice remained by me as we walked into the living room and sat down on the couch. I know that it wasn't normally polite to just randomly sit down on someone's furniture without permission, but seeing as how I used to live here, I didn't think it mattered much. Charlie didn't seem to mind in the slightest as he trudged over to the easy chair next to the couch and plopped down into it, clasping his hands together as his dark eyes appraised us.

Again, it was silent. No one spoke. Charlie seemed to be debating with himself over whether or not he should say anything or not. Alice looked like she didn't want to be here, but at the same time she was doing this for me, so she had to suck it up.

"How're...things?" Charlie asked, breaking the silence and my train of thought.

"Fine," I replied.

"Are Dr. Cullen and his wife being good to you?"

Alice narrowed her eyes, looking insulted. "Are you insinuating that my parents wouldn't be good to her?" she asked, her tone dripping with malice and her eyes dark as she glared menacingly at the man a few feet away from us.