Chapter 57

Chapter 57: Results

Results

"Jacob, STOP!" Sam commanded. It was too late, however, and the large russet wolf collided with Alice, creating a shockwave powerful enough to knock the elders from their feet and to push back both the wolves and the vampires. I would have flown backwards myself had Raina's iron-like arm not shot out to hold me in place.

"Alice!" I shouted, watching as both her and Jacob rolled around, growling. Alice's head shot over to me the moment she'd heard my voice and in seconds she had her arms around me, pulling me into a vicious-yet still gentle-hug.

"MINE!" Alice snarled, pulling me away from Raina, who remained placid and stood still.

I instinctively wrapped my arms around her and pulled her close to me, rubbing her back in order to help calm her down. Her body was vibrating violently with a rumbling growl as she pressed herself against me, her coal black eyes glaring at Raina, then at Jacob. Jacob growled venomously and looked like he was about to pounce again, but Raina quickly grabbed him with her left hand by the neck and slammed his face into the dirt.

"Stop, Jacob. Now," Raina ordered, her voice low with authority.

Jacob glared at her and struggled under her grip, but to no avail. He remained pinned down to the ground despite the obvious difference in size and ultimately gave in, huffing loudly and slumping down, his dark eyes full of loathing and betrayal.

"Alice!" Esme called.

Alice remained frozen where she stood, hugging me protectively in her arms and growling at the brown furred wolf.

"Alice, it's okay," I cooed in her ear. "He's not going to hurt you now. It's okay."

My graceful pixie slowly quelled her growling, then looked at me, blinking several times. Her eyes were no longer black at that point, but her natural rich honey color. She frowned and pressed her nose to my left shoulder, sniffing it several times. Then she switched to my right shoulder, and before I knew it she was rapidly sniffing every inch of my upper body.

"A-Alice, what are you doing?" I asked, confused.

Alice stopped her sniffing and instantly pressed her lips to mine. I couldn't help sighing into the kiss, even after she pulled away.

"I was making sure she didn't hurt you," Alice murmured, staring into my eyes. "God, Bella, I was so worried. I wanted to go to you a minute after you'd left, but the others told me not to and then the mongrel started talking crap and, well, yeah."

"Are you okay?" I asked.

She stared blankly at me. "Am I okay? I'm not the one who was alone in the forest with a wolf, Bella. Are you okay?" she asked, her eyes smoldering with concern. "I didn't smell any injuries on you, but that doesn't mean she didn't hurt you." She paused again. "You stink, though."

I rolled my eyes and kissed her forehead. "I'm fine, Alice. Really. Raina and I just talked a bit, that's all. There was no touching of any kind, I swear. We just talked a bit and..." I thought about how best to summarize what had happened. "I think we have a stronger understanding of each other. Would that be a good way of putting it, Raina?"

"Pretty much," Raina agreed.

Alice didn't seem to believe her, baring her teeth slightly. "I swear to you, if you laid one stinking finger on her..."

Raina snorted. "Why would I?" she asked. "I wanted to talk to her, not mangle her."

"I find that hard to believe," growled Alice.