Chapter 52

3,278Chapter 52: Tension

Disclaimer: I don't take credit or claim to anything belonging to Meyer, only for what is MINE. All original characters and ideas are copyright me. Duh.

Tension

Jacob and Raina both snarled in unison as they both lunged for Alice. I wanted nothing more than to grab Alice and pull her aside, but I was too slow. Out of the corner of my eye I caught sight of something gray moving and watched as it careened into both Jacob and Raina, knocking them both to the ground. Alice landed lithely on her feet without hitting her intended targets and jumped backwards as a hazel furred wolf snapped its teeth at her legs.

All of my siblings growled at the wolves surrounding them, most of the wolves growling right back at them. Carlisle and Esme were growling too, though Carlisle's was nearly inaudible compared to Esme's harsh growl as she gave the wolves a threatening grimace, daring them to even think of trying to attack her family again.

I snapped my attention to where Jacob and Raina were and saw a light gray furred wolf with white on its face glaring down both the Blacks. Raina looked like she was seething with rage as she lunged for the gray wolf, but the gray wolf easily avoided her, moving at a much faster speed than I thought possible for something so large.

I inspected the gray wolf and came to realize that it was female, which meant one thing. Leah.

The hate in both Jacob and Raina's eyes proved my point as they encircled Leah, who didn't even blink an eye at the obvious numbers game. A sandy colored wolf moved to Leah's side, looking ganglier, thinner and smaller than the others. I knew by that alone that it was Seth, Leah's younger brother, trying to keep his older sibling safe from harm.

All around me the wolves snarled and growled, a few looking like they wanted nothing more than to rip the members of my family into pieces. They didn't move, however, which thoroughly confused me. Why were they not attacking?

"Their Alpha commanded them not to," Edward stated, answering my mental question.

I glanced over to Sam and saw that he was looking at me with appraising eyes. His gaze flickered to Alice, who stood near me protectively, black eyes glaring down both Jacob and Raina, both of whom growled angrily at her. She curled back her lip and hissed back, crouching down and waiting for them to attack.

Sam let out a loud bark, causing all of the wolves except for Raina to drop down to their knees, even Jacob who appeared to be struggling with something. I furrowed my brow in confusion as to what was going on and turned to Edward for an answer.

Edward frowned. "It's hard to explain. As the Alpha, he is capable of forcing the others to obey his command, no matter what he orders them to do. This is the result of what happens when they try to fight his orders or disobey them. It doesn't seem to affect his mate, though."