Chapter 47

Chapter 47: Clash

Clash

Jasper turned to face us, appraising everyone with his dark amber eyes. There was something behind them that I couldn't make out, but I could see the determination behind them, as well as genuine concern. I felt a wave of calm flow into me, and likely through the others too as Jasper closed his eyes for a moment before reopening them.

"Alright, I've been thinking of a plan for this to better work out," he said, quickly and calmly. "I feel that if we follow this we'll be able to eliminate them without any excessive force and that we may even be able to gain some useful information from it."

"Are you sure that's a good idea?" Edward asked, clearly inquiring about Jasper's thoughts.

Jasper nodded. "I think that it will be better if we stick to it. That way, if one of us is eliminated there will a few more options to take over."

"I'm not so certain, Jasper," Edward grunted, furrowing his brow. "It might be too risky if we don't go at them at full strength. I know that you think that gives them the chance for an opening at Bella and Alice, but I feel that it would lessen their chances. They can't go after them if they have to constantly watch their backs, don't you agree?"

"Maybe so," Jasper replied. "You forget, though, the strength of the newborn and the gift that the woman possesses. It'd be foolish to charge in swinging, that's why I feel that keeping to this plan might benefit us in the long run."

"I suppose..." Edward murmured, still sounding uncertain.

"Care to share with the rest of us?" Emmett grunted exasperatedly.

"Seriously, we can't all read minds," Rosalie growled in agreement. "What's this plan of yours?"

Jasper spoke fast. "I've devised a strategy for us to best fight against them, or rather, for three of us to fight them. Edward will face the woman because his gift is the best choice to counteract hers, I will handle the newborn since I have the most experience with newborns and Amara will fight the blonde. I don't know if he has any abilities, but since Amara's the most skilled fighter, it shouldn't be too much of a problem."

Edward nodded hesitantly while Amara smirked, grinning tauntingly at the blonde vampire several feet away from her. James cocked his head to the side while Victoria looked mildly irritated by the way things were going. Not only that, but I assumed that she was upset that we all knew about her gift, since she'd never meant for us to find out.

Emmett groaned. "What? What about me? What am I supposed to do?"

"Rosalie, you'll stay here and help piece Alice's leg back together since you've already started to do that and you're nearly finished, and Emmett, you'll guard her, Alice and Bella. If one of us falls, it'll be up to you to take over in the fight. I know you don't like the sound of it, Emmett, but I need you to stay back and give us a chance."

"Are you done over there?" James interrupted, cocking his head to the side. "I'd really like to start this game, if you don't mind. I'm getting a little bored here and my poor Sarah is starting to get hungry. And we wouldn't want that for poor little Bella, now would we?" He turned his mocking eyes to me, making me nearly want to vomit again. Ugh.

Alice snarled menacingly at him, but because of the predicament she was in, she could do little else, so she remained silent. Victoria, to my surprise, hissed at him too.

"You know the deal, James," she growled. "Our goal is for her to be alive, not dead. She is our plaything, after all."

"Yes, yes, I know," he replied, holding his hands up.