Dance

"Lucy?" Susan called up the stairs, "Are you almost ready?"

Lucy appeared at the top of the stairs, "I can't go out with this hair Susan."

"Oh Lucy," she smiled, "You look lovely. Now let's go. She turned on her heel and Lucy followed after her glumly, "I look like you, not me."

....

Susan had quickly abandoned Lucy at the dance as soon as she found her friends- they were currently talking to some American soldiers. Lucy slipped into a hallway outside the dance hall and began to unpin her hair- it was giving her a splitting headache and making her miserable. She let out a sigh once it was down, falling in waves around her waist. Pulling off the heels Susan had given her, Lucy sat down against the cool wall.

The only reason Susan took Lucy to these dances was because their mother said that Susan couldn't go alone. Lucy wished she would find someone else- she didn't like dances. She always felt so awkward.

"Oh, shoot. I was hoping my hiding spot haven't been discovered." A voice called. Lucy's head shot in the direction of the voice. A handsome GI stood at the hall, smiling at her sheepishly, "Mind if I share the fox-hole?"

Shaking her head, Lucy gestured for him to take a seat on the floor next to her. He settled down next to her, "I never understood how you can wear those shoes." gesturing to her abandoned heels. Lucy laughed, "My sister forced them on me," she shrugged, "I believe she thinks that I am her doll to dress up and play with."

He laughed and resituated himself- "Ah!" He reached a hand under where we was sitting and pulled out one of her hair pins. "Sorry!" Lucy exclaimed as she snatched it out of his hands. A blush spread from her neck up towards her face.

"You were getting a hairpin headache?" Lucy could hear the smirk in his voice. Laughing when she blushed harder, he picked up another pin lying nearby, "My mother used to complain about those all the time." He fiddled with the pin- Lucy realized he miss home very much. "When's the last time you were able to see her?" Lucy asked softly.

"She died when I was young- both her and my father."

"Oh..." Lucy gasped out softly, "I'm sorry."

"It's alright. I lived with my uncle until I joined the army. And now here I am." He shrugged. There was a crash from inside the ballroom, followed by laughter, "I really never cared much for parties."

"Me neither." Lucy shrugged, "My sister makes me come along with her." A sigh escaped Lucy, "I suppose I should get back there."

She began to twist her hair back up, but his hand came out to stop here. "I think your hair is rather pretty down."

"Susan will have a fit." Lucy warned, but laughed. Her sister had the funniest expression when she was vexed.

"I'll deal with her if you want." He offered.

"She's rather impertinent..."

"I guess I just like your hair that much." He smiled at her. Lucy felt her heart skip a beat as her face flushed.

He stood and offered her a hand up; she took it and let him pull her up. "What's your name?" He questioned as she put her heels on. "Lucy."

"Would you like to dance, Lucy?" He held out a hand to her.

"Only if you tell me your name."

"Caspian."

"I would love to dance Caspian."