A Sister is a Best Friend

A sister is a forever friend. While friends ask why you're crying, best friends already have the shovel to bury the lizard who made you cry.
•••

Lucy slammed the front door and raced up the stairs to her room. Edmund, Caspian and Peter shot confused looks at each other until Caspian rose silently and crept up the stairs after her. He knocked on her door. "Lucy?"

A muffled "go away" came through the wood.

"Are you alright, Lu?"

"I said, GO AWAY!" She screamed. Caspian jumped back. Lucy never yelled. Unsure of what to do, he went back down to her brothers.

"She okay?" Peter questioned.

"Nope." Caspian shook his head, "I have no idea what to do."

Susan rushed in the front door, "Where is Lucy? I've just heard what happened!"

"In her roo-" Edmund started to stay, but Susan was already in motion. "What happened?!" He yelled up the stairs, but Susan ignored him.

Susan walked into Lucy's room without knocking- Lucy was sitting on her bed, cradling a pillow to her chest.

"I suppose you're going to ask why I'm crying?" Lucy asked miserably.

"I can guess why- but honestly," Susan sat down on the bed, hugging Lucy close. "I don't care why you're crying, I just want to kill who ever made you cry. Come on," Susan poked her ribs and got a watery smile out of Lucy, "I already have a shovel to bury the lizard."

"Unless you want to bury me..." Lucy shook her head. "It's my own fault."

"I didn't think this was about Jonathan." Susan shrugged, "I knew you were going to break up with him. I didn't think you were crying just because he beat you to the punch."

"No."

"So what is it?"

"He dumped me because he said I was in love with Caspian and he wouldn't date someone who wanted someone else."

"Okay..." Susan furrowed her brow, "so why are you crying?"

"Because-" Lucy choked out another sob, "He's right."

"I'm still waiting to the part why you're crying."

"Because I love someone I can never have."

"That's stupid." Susan scoffed, "Caspian is crazy about you."

Lucy gave Susan a hard look. "What?" Susan groaned, "He is."

"Yeah, okay." Lucy scoffed.

"Tell him."

"Huh?"

"Tell him you love him." Susan shrugged, "he'll never make the first move."

Lucy just looked at her toes. Susan sighed and gave her another squeeze before getting off the bed. "I'm sending Caspian up."

Right before she left, Lucy called out to her. "Thank you."

"Of course Lucy." Susan smiled and came back over to lock pinkies with Lucy- something they had done since they were little. It was a symbol of their friendship, one they would cherish forever.