Chapter 5

Victoria

"Start getting ready!" My mom yelled out from downstairs

Tonight was the so called annual conference. My mom was stressing too much about it. She claims she's just worried something might go wrong. She was rushing everyone to get ready when we have around five hours till the party.

I slipped out of my clothes and let the warm water run in the shower as I stepped in. I started thinking about the many ways my life was about to change soon. For heavens sake I'm not even going to be able to live here anymore.

While washing my hair I even thought about what my future husband is like. Oh I'm still so young, how did I get in this mess!? Out of all things they could've done, they chose the idea of getting their own son married to the daughter of the family!? What could they possibly want with me?

I still haven't let the idea that I'm getting married to a stranger sink in. It feels too surreal that my brain refuses to accept it.

I twisted the knob to stop the water from pouring out. I got out of the shower and started drying myself. I slipped on my dress and checked it out in the mirror. I sat down and started working on my makeup. I looked at myself in the mirror after I was done and nodded.

"Not bad." I smiled as I saw my well put look

I got the brand new high heels I bought just for this occasion. I grabbed my purse and put everything I needed inside. After I decided I was done, I headed to the living room. My dad was standing waiting for my mom to bring her purse.

"My daughter looks too beautiful." He complimented

My mom quickly came back and rushed us to get in the car. How is it possible that my mom is panicking more than me right now? Aren't I the one getting married to a stranger? I sunk back in the car seat and let my thoughts take over me.

"We won't be meeting them right away. After the speech we will all sit down together and finish checking the rest of the contract. So when we first arrive you can just relax and meet some friends. " My dad informed

I nodded my head and looked out the window. I was very familiar with the building we were headed to. I memorized the area from how many times I've gone there with my family. I didn't mind it, I actually enjoyed going. I mostly went for the food they had. I stopped going to annual conference with my family around two years ago. I focused on college and left the business for my parents to handle.

A few minutes passed and we finally arrived. As I stepped out, the huge building came into view. My father put out his hand for my mother as we walked in.

"Sir, would you like to put your coat away?" The man dressed as a waiter asked

"Yes please." My father said as he handed all our coats to the man

The man handed him a card that has a number on it in return.

I smoothed out my dress and walked towards the dessert table. I picked up a fancy looking brownie and threw it in my mouth.

"Victoria." My mom warned

"Um-ju-ea'in" I tried speaking with the brownie still in my mouth

I picked up another and plopped it in my mouth not caring about the fact that I was already chewing one. I looked at my mom hoping she didn't see but of course she caught me.

"Victoria!" My mom glared at me

I swallowed and smiled sheepishly.

"I'm hungry." I said

My mom rolled her eyes and shook her head. She gestured me to come with her as she started walking away. I grabbed one more sweet and followed her, stuffing the sweet into my mouth. I caught up with her and as soon as I tried speaking, the announcements came on about the stupid speech.

"Lets go, we have to attend the speech and listen to it." She said

I groaned hearing that. I hate the speeches. I have to sit for an hour listening to people talking about stupid petty things. After a while I felt myself slowly giving in to sleep. My mom elbowed me hard.

"Ow." I whispered

She shushed me and went back to listening to whatever they were saying. I looked around me and looked at all the people until my eyes landed on a certain someone. Wait a damn minute.

What the hell is he doing here?

I slid a bit in my chair to make sure he couldn't see me. This is a disaster. If he sees me he's going to tell everyone about it!

I started squirming in my seat beginning to feel anxious. I looked around to see if I could secretly sneak out from the speech.

I could go under the table then get out from the other side. That way only my mom sees me escaping. Oh god, she's not gonna let me go is she?

"Are you okay?" My mom looks at me concerned

"Yeah I'm good, totally fine." I chuckled dryly

"You've been squirming in your seat for the past hour and now you're as pale as a ghost." She smiled

"I-I'm just worried and anxious I guess. I don't want anyone to know the fact that I'm getting married just so our company survives." I sighed

"Its okay, you know I'm always here for you. No one would dare say anything anyway. And if he ever does anything to you that you dislike, call me and I'll come to teach him a lesson." My mother smiled proudly

"Alright." I smiled while looking down

****************

Thank you for reading 💗