xiii. ready or not

「 ──────────────────────── 」

𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐃𝐄𝐕𝐈𝐋 𝐖𝐈𝐓𝐇𝐈𝐍

𝘤𝘩𝘢𝘱𝘵𝘦𝘳 𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘳𝘵𝘦𝘦𝘯: 𝘳𝘦𝘢𝘥𝘺 𝘰𝘳 𝘯𝘰𝘵

「 ──────────────────────── 」

𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐨

     EVERYONE IS STARING AT me and I meet their gazes with my own level gaze. They want to know about the Dread Doctors. I mean, it's wonderful that they all finally want to listen to me tell them what they desperately need to know, but it took for my friend's curse to kick in for them to want to know.

     "Alright," I say, sitting on one of the chairs as everyone stares at me with a sort of wonder mixed with impatience. "You all might want to get a seat. It's a rather long story to be honest."

     I watch as they all hesitate for a second before launching themselves at the remaining seats - excluding the two next to me. Isaac sits to my right, on the ground, with Allison sitting behind him on the seat. Derek sits to my left and Lydia is curled into his chest, tears still trickling from her eyes. Stiles' siblings get themselves seats, after vanishing repeatedly to get chairs for the rest of their - now - Pack.

     "Okay, Theo," Derek says, his voice rough. "Time to start talking."

     I look around at the congregation of Vampires, Werewolves, Hybrids and Witches before I start talking. "I know all I know because of an old friend of mine that is now deceased. His name was Doctor Gabriel Valack. Yes, the Doctor Valack that was shoved into Eichen House with you, Peter. They were once Human. The leader was friends with Sebastien Valet, the Beast of Gevaudan, and his name was Marcel. Marcel was a bar owner and soldier in the French and Indian War. He was a loyal friend to Sebastien Valet and covered his crimes as The Beast of Gevaudan. After Sebastien's death, Marcel began to practice the farthest edges of pseudoscience and harnessed electromagnetic forces in order to bring back his friend. Along with two others, they used these forces to prolong their lives, give them power, and, most importantly, make people forget about them.

     "How they had been able to prolong their lives from from a Nazi werewolf, Garrett Douglas, who is now dead thanks to you all when you saved my ass. They kept him in a tube with green fluid, they injected themselves with the fluid when they deemed necessary. Their primary goal was create the perfect killing machine. They nearly succeeded with me. They described me as 'perfect evil' for some reason, and then they discovered to create real evil was to 'corrupt something good' instead, so they tried to kill me.

     "Through electromagnetic forces, the doctors were able to move through reality, as well as have enhanced strength and produce powerful hallucinations. They could induce life-like hallucinations that could incapacitate anyone who gets in their way. They were nearly invincible and strong in body and mind, but they could be stopped by a frequency from an sonic emitter. Just like the one you used, Allison.

     "There is also a book. Doctor Valack told me that he wrote the book to stimulate readers' brains and allow them to remember any interaction they might have had with the Dread Doctors. Which is why you're all looking at me like I'm crazy. None of you remember saving me. Except Stiles though. He can't be affected by their harnessed electromagnetic forces and their practice of the farthest edges of pseudoscience as they have already experimented on him.

     "While the Doctors' experiments may appear to be familiar creatures, like Corey, myself and formerly Hayden, we are not supernaturally classified due to our ability to cross Mountain Ash barriers. The old rules and restrictions do not apply to the subjects of these experiments. The Doctors created hybrids by combining parts, and most of us had some Werewolf traits mixed with more exotic species to form a Chimera. They are cheap knockoffs of the supernatural creatures they resemble, but are still supernatural - excluding the Mountain Ash issue.

     "The doctors were slightly out of phase with reality and, because of that, their bodies blurred constantly. The Surgeon was to be the 'leader' of the Dread Doctors. He is Marcel, who still continued to protect Sebastien despite what he had become. He controlled who they experimented on. In general, a Pathologist is a doctor who study the cause and development of disease. Most choose a specialty such as genetics or forensic pathology. He was the one who never said a word and barely had anything on his mask. As the name implies, a Geneticist is a biologist who studies genetics, the science of genes, heredity, and variation of living organisms. He helped Marcel choose who to experiment on.

     "The Dread Doctors were horrible people, and they did horrible things. Half of what Stiles is, is because of them. The Werejaguar, the Werecat, the Wendigo, the Oni, and the Class C Alpha Werewolf. All of them are because of the Dread Doctors."

     "I thought he said he was a Werehyena?" Kai asks, confusion covering his face.

     "If you also listened to him, he would have told you that there are not many differences between a Werehyena and a Werejaguar."

     A loud snarl breaks us from our little meeting of sorts. A loud snapping sound follows it and I see how both Kol's eyes and Kai's eyes go as wide as supernaturally possible. The sound of a Vampire running reaches my ears and I look up to see Klaus - Stiles' bastard brother apparently - vanishing up the stairs and into Stiles' room, obviously not compelled like the rest of us.