xlvii. there's a darkness in them

「 ──────────────────────── 」

𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐃𝐄𝐕𝐈𝐋 𝐖𝐈𝐓𝐇𝐈𝐍

𝘤𝘩𝘢𝘱𝘵𝘦𝘳 𝘧𝘰𝘳𝘵𝘺-𝘴𝘦𝘷𝘦𝘯: 𝘵𝘩𝘦𝘳𝘦'𝘴 𝘢 𝘥𝘢𝘳𝘬𝘯𝘦𝘴𝘴 𝘪𝘯 𝘵𝘩𝘦𝘮

「 ──────────────────────── 」

𝐬𝐭𝐢𝐥𝐞𝐬

One Week Later

     A GROAN LEAVES MY lips the second I come to consciousness, my hand coming to cover my sensitive eyes, well, at least it tries. Pain floods my body and I let out a pained rasp, turning my head, much to the screaming agony of my head, and finding that my skin is unusually white, and streaked with black veins. Forcing my head to turn towards the door, my throat rasps out another pained sound, my vision blurring and water filling them, making me have to blink my eyes clear to see the open door.

     Gritting my teeth, I force myself upright and feel the monsters inside me slowly awaken, letting out varying growling sounds as they blink their sleepy eyes. Once they've come to, they all begin to chatter amongst themselves as the memories of the battle come to light in my mind; the almost uncontrollable Power that filled us and allowed us to save our Pack and everyone else who was going to be future victims of the Hunters.

     It's then that I remember the final moments before I passed out. "Mei." My body screaming in protest, I climb off my bed and clutch at the cupboard beside it as I shuffle along, my legs stiff and pained. "Mei." What feels like minutes later, I'm leaning against the wall outside my room, not too far from the room I put her in. "Mei." Forcing my legs to cooperate, I shuffle into the room to find her still out cold on the bed, my legs giving out and making me fall to my knees beside the bed. "Mei."

     "Why did you bring her here?" The ancient voice makes me growl lowly. "Your lover is long dead, and yet you still cling to her corpse."

     "She's still alive, Augustus. Can't you hear her heartbeat?"

     "And yet she has not awoken, Mieczyslaw. That's why I want to know why you brought her here in the aftermath of that slaughter."

     I glare over at the dark haired man. "Unlike many, she can be saved, and I won't rest until she is. I won't lose her again - I can't lose her again."

     The Beast of the Dark sighs and turns away. "I will go tell my sister that you're awake. You best tend to your Mates and your pups once you've returned to some semblance of humanity and sanity, old friend."