xvii. blood won't lie

「 ──────────────────────── 」

𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐃𝐄𝐕𝐈𝐋 𝐖𝐈𝐓𝐇𝐈𝐍

𝘤𝘩𝘢𝘱𝘵𝘦𝘳 𝘴𝘦𝘷𝘦𝘯𝘵𝘦𝘦𝘯: 𝘣𝘭𝘰𝘰𝘥 𝘸𝘰𝘯'𝘵 𝘭𝘪𝘦

「 ──────────────────────── 」

𝐬𝐭𝐢𝐥𝐞𝐬

Two Weeks Later

     I WAKE WITH A start and I literally jump off whatever I was previously sleeping on. My clothes make a crunching sound and the smell of dried blood reaches my nose. I look down at my clothes and body, and see a whole heap of dried blood covering me. I sigh and fall back onto an unusually warm bed, but I quickly realise why when I see an arm next to my head.

     "Are you kidding me?" I say, sitting up and looking down at the pile of bodies. "I fell asleep on a pile of bloody bodies?"

     "Yep," Theo says, standing in the doorway. "You were out like a light last night. Pretty strange actually."

     "Not really. A month has passed. It usually happens like this - excluding falling asleep on a pile of bloody bodies."

     "Fair enough, Void, but you need to have a shower and put on some clean clothes. You stink really bad. You didn't shower properly once in this past month. All you did was throw away your old clothes, wipe off the majority of the blood from your body and steal some new clothes from some second hand store. It was rather funny watching the owners try to stop you. They knew you, you know. Mr and Mrs Foxworth I think you called them."

     "Huh. I never thought I'd kill them, but apparently I thought wrong. Anyway, I really do need a shower."

     "Kai brought you some clothes back from New Orleans. They're in the bathroom - which we had to clean severely first - and so is everything else you should need."

     "Thanks, Theo." I walk out of the room and find the bathroom, but stop in the doorway. "Hey, Theo. Where are we?"

     Theo pokes his head from the kitchen into the hallway. "Uh... Spokane, I think."

     "Washington?"

     "That sounds about right."

     "How many are dead?"

     "Don't worry about it. Go have a shower. We'll talk about this on the way back to New Orleans."

     I nod and walk into the bathroom, closing the door behind me. I find a pile that consists of a dark brown towel, black skinny jeans, a white t-shirt, and a black leather jacket. Leave it to Kai to make me look like a bikie. I'm not really complaining - I do like his taste in clothing quite a lot, that is, unless he tries to make me wear a button up shirt.

     I rip of the blood crusted shirt and blood stained jeans I am wearing and throw them into the basket on the other side of the room. My socks and underwear soon follow, but, by then, I am standing under a stream of almost boiling hot water and watching the small rivers of red travel down my body and down the drain.

     I run my hands down my arms and torso, getting off as much of the redness as possible before I grab what looks to be a brand new sponge and a bottle of Lynx body wash. I roll my eyes at Kai's choice, but pick up the body wash and squirt some of it onto the dark coloured sponge. I scrub at my arms, torso and legs to get rid of the dried patches of blood and watch as the bubbles soon turn red with the amount of blood I have scrubbed off.

     I rinse the sponge out and repeat the process several more times before all of my skin is clear of blood. After that, I grab whatever bottle of shampoo Kai got and squeeze half the bottle onto my hair. I dig my fingers in and start to scrub, small flakes of dried blood falling to the tiled floor and then going down the drain.

     Five minutes later, after multiple washes and two conditionings of my hair, I turn off the water and get out of the shower. I run the towel over my body and dry every inch of it, even between my toes and behind my ears. I pull on the clean underwear, socks and jeans, but decide to leave my shirt and jacket off until my hair is fully dry.

     I pick up said clothes and walk out of the bathroom, drying my hair as I enter the kitchen. I drop my clothes onto the table and take a seat as Theo places a plate of bacon, eggs, sausages, mushroom and cooked tomato in front of me, along with a cup of super strong coffee. He plates up his own and takes a seat across from me, instantly digging into his food.

     I do the same and place the towel on the seat next to me so I can use both hands to cut and eat my food. I place my utensils on my plate five minutes later and look up to see Theo finish his just after myself. He takes my plate and washes it up, giving me the opportunity to stand up and pull my white t-shirt on, and find out that it is a size too small and hugs my torso like a second skin.

     "I think Kai got a shirt a little too small," I tell Theo, picking up my towel and hanging it over the back of my chair. "It's a little too tight."

     Theo looks me up and down, shrugging. "It suits you. Just go with it."

     "Yeah okay. Did Kai bring me shoes too?"

     "They're next to the front door I think."

     I walk around the house and eventually find the front door, along with a pair of black Converse high tops. I mentally thank Kai for not getting me Doc Martens this time around. No, I don't hate them. I just have too many pairs of them thanks to my sister. I pull on the Converse and walk back into the kitchen to find Theo placing the plates back into the cupboard.

     "Are we going to dispose of the bodies like normal?" Theo asks, not looking at me as he continues cleaning up. "Or, are you going to wave your hand make every part of them disappear?"

     I wave my hand. "The last one."

     "Of course. No trace of them that way. Did you take care of your DNA in the bathroom, or do I get rid of all that too?"

     "You've done enough cleaning up after me these past four years. I'll deal with it."

     My eyes turn molten orange and every trace of any of us being here vanishes, making us free people once again. Theo nods his head in thanks and picks up a medium sized blue green suitcase before walking out the front door. I pick up my jacket and follow him out to a black Impala, pulling my jacket on and closing the door as I do so.

     "You stole a 1967 Chevrolet Impala?" I ask, raising my eyebrows.

     Theo closes the trunk and looks at me. "Would you prefer a 1959 Mustang, Void?"

     "Hell no. Impalas are way better."

     "I'm glad we agree on that."