Chapter 9- Sneaking Out

Jennifer's POV

Around seven in the evening, Leah messaged me saying that she'll pick me up instead. Gino isn't home yet, he would usually be home by 11 or 12. Not always all the time though but he'd always go straight into bar after his work at the office.

If I make it back here before him, it'll all be okay. I never got the chance to tell this earlier about me and Leah hanging out tonight, he wasn't in a good mood this morning. And plus, we I doubt he would let me. So yeah, I'm here dressed in a casual clothes. Nothing fancy, just my cropped top shirt and leggings. With denim cardigan, you know, to hide my nasty bruises.

A few minutes later, I hear the someone's car in front of our gate. I feel excited, nearly running to her car. I sat in the passenger's seat, she's smiling and her hair's in a messy bun. She has her glasses on this time and I got a different vibe from her. "Look at you with those glasses on" "I'm not wearing my contacts!" She retorted almost immediately, "Alright, detective" "Shut up, so where do you wanna go? Pizza..movies?"

I made a thinking face, I'm not really feeling going out tonight though. "You have netflix in your house?" I bit my lip, anxiously waiting for her answer. "Yeah, why?" "Then let's just chill in your place" I giggled, "What? Are you serious? My house's a mess right now I swear" "So? C'mon we could order pizza and watch movies!" She turn her head to look at me, eyeing me for a few seconds before breaking into a smile. "You're just making an excuse to see Harper, aren't you?" She sounded like teasing, I let out a giggle. "Oh c'mon I told you, I would rather stay home, eat pizza and watch random movies over some fancy place"

"Alright alright, if that's what you want"

Twenty minutes later, we arrived at her house. As expected, I was greeted by Harper tackling me on the floor. I burst out in giggles as he licks my face. "Harper!" I beamed. "I missed you too" I smiled. She made me sat on the couch and told me to feel at home while I was being entertained by her dog. She was fixing some things in the kitchen, she came back holding a bottle of white wine in her hands. We were watching a horror movie in the living room, it's just starting. I don't really like horror but yeah, I could swing this. Someone rang the doorbell so Leah got up, not too long after she was walking towards me holding a pizza box her hands. 

"This is heaven" I said, opening the pizza box. "Why are you picking up the pineapples?" Leah started laughing, looking at me like crazy. "Because pineapples don't go well with pizza" She made a face. "You're kidding. That's so mean!" She exclaimed, "I protest" she now added. "You should've told me you hate Hawaiian"

"It's okay. I'm not complaining" I attempted joking, biting onto my pizza. "You know what else don't go with the pizza?" I said, looking at her. She gave me this funny look and starts to smile. "This horror movie we're watching" I laughed and gladly she did too. We're having so much fun, we just keep on talking and laughing like a lunatic. Actually, we never finished the movie cause the conversation keeps on going to that point that we've gone into the most silliest topic. Stupid and random, but my smile is genuine.

"Do you like traveling?" Leah asked, hugging a pillow against her chest, resting her head on it and she has this cute grin. She kept her mouth closed in a thin straight line, but it's plump with a tint of red.

Why the hell am I looking at her lips? I'm being stupid, sooner or later she's gonna think I'm rude..or crazy.

I mean- hey? Could you even blame me? She's one of those girls you've seen in a magazine, and almost has no flaws.

"Earth to Jennifer?" The next thing I know, Leah was snapping her fingers at me, getting my attention quickly. "Oh" I let out. For a moment, I got nervous. My mind was blocked for a second, trying to think of what to say. I try to act normal as possible. "Oh- I'm sorry. I just remembered something- what was that again? Traveling?" I bit my lip, she looked at me and giggled,  nodding her head.

"Uhm..yes. Gino and I did travel back then but it kinda stopped when he got occupied with work" Lies. Again. I had to make an excuse, you know. As much as I hate lying, I'd do it for the sake of our marriage. "Really? That's nice, well you must be wondering why I'm so random. See, Loren and our friends are planning a trip, again. I know-- they're crazy but only this time, it'll be out of the country." She said, now laying on her tummy. We were sitting on the carpet with fluffy pillows.

I don't expect Gino would agree to this trip. The last time was forced, he has no options so I doubt we would participate in this travel thingy they're attempting to go to. "Wow-- they really like spending money on trips, huh?" I chuckled, resting my chin on my palm. "Yes, but it's not figured out completely thought it's just a thought I happen to hear"

"Now you can read thoughts? What else you can do, detective?" Another sarcastic comment came out from my mouth. She scoffed and rolled her eyes at me then opening her mouth, "Oh you shut up!" She then laughed while shaking her head, " I just heard them talking" she defended herself. "Nosy" I whispered quietly but enough to hear what I said, "I heard that!" She shot back.

For a second, I just happen to gaze at the table and soon I realized Leah's badge and gun are sitting on it, along with her coat. It made me froze, I just kinda stare at it. I'm just amazed. I've never seen a real gun before. "Oh shit, sorry-- I didn't mean to scare you" Leah exclaimed, getting up to grab it and hide it on one of those wood cabinets. She went to sit back beside me. "Did that scare you?" She bit her lip and furrowed her eyebrows. "No, silly. I'm just-- amazed" I smile at her and shrugged. "Amazed? You are so funny Jennifer. You know a lot of people just kinda step back whenever they see my gun?" She giggled.  "I mean- yeah. That is pretty amazing. I'd love to see you doing detective stuffs"

Detective stuffs? Damn it. I can really be cringey sometimes.

"Really?" She asked me again, seeming not to believe everything I just had said. "Yeah, it's cool" I flashed her a close smile while nodding. "Well if you're really amazed and interested-- w-why don't you come with me at work?" The moment she said that, my mouth drops, my body full of excitement. Still, I can't believe she'd asked me that. "What? A-are you serious?" I stuttered out, still astonished by the question. That must be so fun.

"Yes. I mean- it's all up to you. It's my first time to meet someone who actually admire my job" she laughed and scrunched up her nose, shrugging her shoulders.

I wanted to say yes right away. But I just remembered in the back of my head-- Gino. He wouldn't allow me.

"Uh- Leah..I- I don't think I can make it" I let out a sigh of frustration, her expression went down, she looked upset and confused. "Why? What's wrong?" She asked curiously, raising her brow and waiting for my answer. Before I start speaking, I exhaled and looked at her. "Gino" I muttered. "I don't think he would want me sticking my nose in somebody else's business" I reasoned out. Yes, really.

If he ever find out about this. I'll earn another bruise or cut for me. And I don't want that to happen again, not too soon. "Hey, i don't mind. Silly!" "Yeah but he would" I said, looking down. "Wanna know a secret?" She said and I looked back at her with this puzzling face "what?" I giggled nervously. "Oh c'mon. I know you just sneaked out from Gino tonight!" My mouth drops, I widened my eyes at her then cover my face using my hands. "Oh my god. I'm horrible" I mumbled frustratingly. And I heard her laughing. "And I bet I have to drive you home anytime soon before he comes back from work" she added.

What the hell? H-how? I'm just sitting there, dumbfounded and embarrassed. "How did you even know that?" I shot back. "I'm a detective remember?" Or you just really have good instincts. She added a laugh, I looked up at her and she has this cute grin again. Oh god.

"So, what now detective?" I joked, "You did manage to sneak out at night, I'm sure you could at daytime" she teases.

Now I'm mortified.

We both looked at each other, smirking devilishly. I guess we both know what's on our mind and what we're up to.

I don't even know why I'm agreeing to this knowing it may not turn out so good if Gino ever finds out what I'm doing while he's gone.

But Leah...

She's making me do something I couldn't do before.

Well, I guess I'll sneak out from him again.

Only this time, I get to be with the detective on duty.