Chapter 3 - A Little Something

Leah's POV

"FBI! Don't move!" I hiss while pointing the gun on the black guy who also has a gun in his hand. "Put the gun down!" He raises his hand up, surrendering his weapon. My team started doing the work, cuffing him down and taking him inside the car. We get inside our office and boy, It wasn't an easy day for all of us. It was pretty tiring than yesterday. "Rough day, huh?" Tess says, while pouring her self a coffee, "you tell me" I sigh and run my hands over my hair. "Leah, I'mma tell you something. Go home and rest, you look like a complete shit and your birthday is tomorrow" she sasses, sipping from her cup. She's right.

"Tess. I love you but sometimes, you're a bitch" I joke, kissing her cheek before leaving the building. I went home from work and took a long shower, just thinking. Tomorrow I'll turn 31. Dang, where did my days go.

Meanwhile, I'm on my sweater resting on my bed with my dog, Harper. I'm looking at my laptop, in deep daze until I realized I haven't texted Jennifer and some of my friends about the details so I grabbed my phone from my night stand and unlocked it, "Hey" I sent it and not too long she replies, "Hey there :)"

"My birthday is tomorrow. Can you swing by?"

"Oh yeah, I'll tell Gino. Anyway, Advance Happy Birthdayyy"

"Thanks. I'm getting older. Adulting sucks"

"And You'll turn..?"

"31. Yeah I'm old, how old are you though?"

"I'll turn 26 in July"

26? Wow, she's so..young. She is young for Gino. I mean, how old is he, 33, 35?

"Now I feel old" I joked. We texted for some minutes before she said good night.

There's something about this girl. I don't know what or how I'll describe it but it makes me want to know her more. I wouldn't deny that she's incredibly beautiful, but behind those eyes, I kinda have the vibe that she's been going through some things. Like what the folks said, the eye is the window to our souls.

The scenarios last week replayed over my head, and something I couldn't forget was the thing she has on her wrist. It looks so bad, I mean she has bruises all over. I'm not stupid not to see it, I mean. I am a detective, I've got some pretty good instinct. She tries to hide it but it's pretty obvious. And it doesn't look like she cut her self or stumbled across something accidentally. It looks bad for an incident.

But maybe, I'm just paranoid. Why am I even caring about people's shit though? It's not your business Leah, shut up. I set my alarm for tomorrow, I'm doing grocery shopping for my party tonight. Loren's gonna help me set things up, so hopefully everything goes as it planned.

The next day went pretty fast, I guess that kinda what happens when it's your birthday. "Hey birthday girl" Loren teases and pecked my cheek, handing me a bottle of wine with red ribbon ties neatly around it. "You trying to get me drunk this early?" I joked, "that's for later, idiot" I placed the wine along with my few drinks on the cabinet and turn around to face Loren who's busy filing her nails. "So ready to do some grocery ass shopping?" She asks, "as long as you pay for the half of it" I said, "hell no, nice try smart ass" she rolled her eyes before flipping her hair.

So Loren and I shopped at the mall. We bought some food, snack and party cups. After that we went home to set the sound system on my back yard, I placed all the food on the table before I finally decided to dress up and try to look great.

Jennifer's POV

"Gino?" I mutter from across the table, we're having breakfast, you know the usual routine. He mumbles and looks at me, "Leah's having a party tonight, c-can we come?" I ask nervously, biting my lip. I'm not expecting him to say yes because he usually don't like me hanging out with my friends. "Yeah, I heard" he says, chewing his food. "And?"