Daniel Larusso- Misjudged

Y/N'S POV

I'd seen him around a couple of times. at the beach, at school, on the streets. He was from the not so fortunate area of town but then again so was I, that's why I saw him so often. He was a thin, tall boy who was really attractive. He looked like he had the courage of a thousand soldiers but in his eyes, I could see the fear that was concealed in them. His dark hair styled uniquely and he was one of the nicest and funniest people I'd ever had the pleasure to meet. So when he started showing up with bruises, I got worried. 

"It's no big deal!"
"I'm not hiding!"

"You're just worried!"

If I was reacting weirdly then, imagine how I felt when word spread that he entered the karate competition. 

"But you can't even fight!" I told him carrying my books along the busy corridor. We dogged people left right and centre. 

"Hey doll, don't you worry about me alright!" He smiled walking backwards. I smiled lightly but carried on being a mother. 

"Look, Daniel, you saw what happened on the beach and that was him in a good mood. You're gonna get killed out there!" I said sternly trying to knock some sense into the boy. 

"Look Y/N' He said holding my shoulders looking into my scared eyes. 

"I'm gonna be fine. I need to do this. I can't live the rest of my life in fear." He reassured me. I understood his point and accepted his fate. I wouldn't give in just yet though. 

"Y/n you're still my girl, disappear," He said trying to make eye contact with me. I smiled lightly but it disappeared. 

"Y/NNN, babbyy" He teased. I burst out laughing and I was pulled into his close embrace and we strolled along the corridor. Even though he had allowed me to be at ease a little, I still had that feeling deep down that something would happen. 

---

When Daniels' leg was hurt I was broken. I knew something bad would happen and I did nothing to stop it. I knew and I did nothing. 

"You shouldn't blame yourself," Mrs Larusso told me who insisted I call her Lucille or Lucy whatever I preferred. I was by her side until I saw his limping frame go back to the stage as the trophy was being handed to Johnny by default. I thought that was the end but there was still hope. 

He was in no shape to fight but the shining determination in his almost black made a ray of hope. His mother began to cheer and I followed suit. The look on Johnny's face was enough to make anyone cheer but I knew that it would be it. 

--

The hall was silent. 

The boys ready in their chosen stances. 

Daniel was in an unfamiliar stance making me dread the future. It took me a while then to realise he had won when a smack filled the competition hall. Crowds were cheering, I was being hugged and tears escaped my eyes. 

Before I could do anything I ran down to Daniel. I kissed him carefully since he was so fragile now and he groaned into it. His worn-out limbs wrapping around me and the sweat on his forehead tickled against my own. 

My champion; Daniel Larusso.