Nightmare

Beth's POV~

I wiped the mud off my face as the mud monster became nothing but a pile of goo. It had swallowed me whole, along with two other soldiers, until we blew it to bits. Using flame blast, I roasted 2 tree monsters at the same time. The more you fought, the easier they became to kill; but, it was tiring.

I was luckier than most humans, though. The search for Dawn had helped Megan, Ally, and me level up to intermediate.

I clashed with yet another stone monster. They were the most difficult to destroy. It back-handed me, making me drop my katana as I flew to one side. The monster picked it up and gazed at it with what seemed like fascination. It was tiny compared to the monster's hand. A second later, the stone monster crushed the katana in its palm, making my heart drop to the ground.

I used weather ball. It was much similar to shadow ball, but it varied depending on the current weather. It was sunny, so I shot out a bright, shining orb. The weather ball hit the monster in the abdomen, making it double over in pain. Not a second later, it picked me up by the ankle. I hung upside down, panicking as I knew I would not be able to break free from its iron grip.

It held me only inches away from its face, as if studying me. Its hot, foul breath met my nose, the odor reminding me of metal. It flung me across the air and I crashed into the ground, receiving most of the impact on the side of my face.

My mouth filled with a rusty taste. I spat out blood and was surprised that I had not lost a tooth. The draining sensation that I felt was only mild, but I still lost a good amount of my life bar, although not a full life.

With an evil grin, the stone monster lifted its foot, ready to squish me to a pulp. I could have rolled to the side, but I didn't. I was frozen in panic.

The stone monster pressed its foot down, closing the distance between it and me. However, an inch before it touched me, its foot made an impact with what seemed like an invisible wall. Confused, it tried again, only to get the same results.

Shield... The expert-level specialty move.

A second later, a bolt of lightning flew across the air, and, like a knife, it pierced through the stone monster's heart. Showered in sparks of electricity, the stone monster slowly broke apart, giving out a gut-churning scream before it finally became inanimate stone again.

Owen saved my life. Again. He stood before me, reaching his hand out to help me up. I didn't take it and instead, stood up on my own, trying my best not to cringe as my tired legs screamed in protest.

"You're supposed to say thank you," he said, offering me a teasing smile.

"I'm sorry, I don't talk to my enemies. Especially when I'm in the middle of battle with them."

"Well, it looked like you needed help-"

"You should have let me die. You would have had one less to worry about." I said, not caring about the fact that I was being completely ungrateful. He helped Malin escape, so there's no way in hell that he deserves a "thank you" from me... But then again, why did he save me in the first place?

"Look," I said firmly. "if your trying to get me to switch sides, I'll go ahead and stop you right now. Because it's not going to work. Your boyish charm and good looks won't persuade me."

A smile crept on his face. "You think I'm good looking?"

"No." I snapped, feeling my body temperature skyrocket as my cheeks reddened.

"But you just said I was." He grinned, content with my obvious blushing. If only I had a specialty move that would let me disappear!

"Well, if you're done with your useless chit-chat, I have an army to fight."