CHAPTER 5: ANOTHER DELCARLO

I couldn’t stay at home the following Monday because I was to be assigned a huge new case. I left Caleb with everything that he needed at easy access and he kissed me goodbye. He wished me good luck like always and I drove towards the office before the dawn broke.

I ran up to my office building as fast as I could and dropped all of my bags. The sun had already risen by the time I switched out my pair of flats for a pair of red sole Christian Louboutin. The early meeting with the client was at the Four Seasons and it was over breakfast. I had no choice but to comply, he is a rich client and word on the law blog is he walked away from Packard and Wilson, one of the best law firm anyone could have representing them. All I need to do now is impress whoever the client was.

His assistant scheduled a meeting; the charges were offences towards an employee.

My hair had been pulled into a bun and it was as neat as any bun could be. The shade of eyeshadow that I used for my eyes had the right amount of class to go with this meeting and the light red lipstick that I paired with my outfit screamed; powerful woman from a mile away.

I walked up to the Four Seasons with confidence. I instructed the man at the reception that I was coming for breakfast with a client and that I had a meeting. He smiled and ushered me right through the restaurant. I sat in the far end corner and before I could pull out my phone and look at my emails a chair was pulled opposite of mine.

“Ms Longard?” I looked up to see a man well in his 60’s with a wide smile on his face, he held out his hands and I immediately woke up from where I was seated

“I’m glad you agreed to this meeting Ms Longard, I’ve been waiting for a while to meet you. I hear you’re really good at what you do?” The man sat down with his notepad still clutched in his hands. He took his napkins from the table and placed it on his thighs. His tanned skin shone and for a second he reminded me of someone but I couldn't quite put my fingers on it. He introduced himself as The Great White.
I’ve heard so much about the Great White, rumour has it all cases against him has always been lost since he’s so powerful and connected.

“I’m glad you chose our firm, we will try to make sure you get the best service and your trial goes as smoothly as possible” I looked at the man in front of me and he smiled

He looked at me up and down and then he smiled, he looked around and raised two fingers in the air. He gestured for an approach towards the table and the waiter served him his food immediately, Seems like he’s a regular here.

“Ms Longard, would you like anything?” he looked at me politely and he held out the menu

“I’m sorry but, "

“Nonsense, you will have something. I know the expected thing to do is refuse politely and complete the business talk” he raised up his hands and the waiter immediately appeared next to the table

“Please take my guest’s order” he asked the waiter who turned away from him and looked at me with a wide smile on his face, if he wasn’t trying so hard to put that smile on his face it would look faker than it did now.

“May I take your order please?” The man in front of me handed over the menu and I skimmed through. I finally looked up

“I would have a glass of your fresh fruit cocktail” I smiled and the man urged me to go on. Its rude not to order anything to eat

“And to eat ma’am?” the boy looked at me from the pen he had on his notebook

“A bowl of fruit will suffice, thank you” I smiled politely at the man in front of me.

We never got to talk about him. The phatic conversation had prolonged even when we had received our order which came faster than any restaurant I’ve been to alone. The man had a charm about him. He seemed keen to know about me rather than explaining anything about him. He kept the details to the case vague and he explained why he wanted a small firm to handle his case. He felt that it was a delicate manner and that the press may not know where his case is.