CHAPTER 13: THE RESCUE

We walked down the road in silence. Another day on this island and somehow I can’t feel lost. There’s something about Maximilian’s presence that simply makes me feel safe. I will probably slap myself for thinking such a thing later however I can’t bring myself to think any other way.

The sun was at its peak once we got back from our little morning adventure to the barn. The only thing left now is to watch Maximilian produce what he thinks is the world’s best ice cream. There’s a little thing however that I’m not sure he took into account that there aren’t any fancy machines that he can use.

I ended up not really bothering myself to what he was doing because I was flipping through some of the books on the book shelf in the chalets and I got lost in a book about stars and by the time they told us that dinner was ready I was convinced that I can find out where the island was.

Dinner was set on the table as usual and a new selection of sea food and this time two candles had been lit. The ocean added to the calm and relaxing atmosphere to the dinner. I know that we may not be eating ice cream tonight but tomorrow.

What’s the saying “the older the wine the better it gets”

“I’ve been meaning to ask you”

“Nope, I am not marrying you” he chuckled when I answered before he asked the question

“I meant to ask you about your assistant Maggie” he stuffed a piece of bread in his mouth

“What about Maggie?” I asked feeling some sort of feeling in my tummy, I don’t know what but there seems to be something weighing down my diaphragm

“Is she single?” he asked and I found myself digging my fork a little too hard in the crab cakes

“What? Do you want to marry her?” he chuckled

“I already asked you I can’t change my mind” he answered gazing

“Oh” I didn’t know what else to say

“I have someone I can set her up with” he shrugged and went back to eating

“She already has someone”

“Oh cool”

“Well…” before he could continue his sentence the sound that the wind carried increased and the table cloth flew off the table, the wine stained the sand and the particles had their share of expensive grape juice. My hair bounced around on my head and a light broke the ambient sepia that we had been swimming in.

The rattling of blades in the wind sliced through the night silence and the humming of the huge bee stung the inside of my chest. I could almost feel my ribs rattling as the bird landed on its feet a few feet away at the very edge of the beach where the grass coincides with the sand in an unusual but expected union.

We were both on our feet before we knew it and another feeling invaded my chest, I almost felt empty however relieved, someone was here to rescue us but at what price?

We ploughed to the field almost immediately once the blades stopped spinning, however before we could get in the vicinity of the helicopter, Maximillian pulled me back and pointed towards the door of the helicopter opening.

Two male walked out of the door in dark shades and those earpieces on, they pulled out some sort of carpet and a bright light erupted from inside the vehicle. I only saw white linen before I could see who was behind it.

“Oh gosh” the only thing I could hear  Maximillian whisper

The woman stepped off the helicopter with as much grace as would a swan and her hair played along with each other in a rehearsed manner and from this distance I could make out the slender shape of such a character. You didn’t need to talk to see the helicopter to know that she has money and high status

“Is that an ex or like a girlfriend?” I found myself asking not really liking the idea myself

“Urgh, that’s an appalling thought, she’s my mother” he answered and I froze

I had to take a double look to barely believe whatever he was trying to tell me. She is his mother? No way.

----------------------------------------------
Xoxo