CHAPTER 20: DADDY, MAXIMILLIAN, CALEB

The huge door opened and for a moment my mother stood in still before stepping out of the doorway for us to walk in. I hugged her once the door was shut behind us and I kissed her on the cheek. She pushed the hair curls away from my face and smiled. It's been so long since I've seen her smile like that.

She led us through the kitchen and into the living room without saying much however pulling a chair for me and Maximilian. I waited a moment knowing that he would step in anytime soon. Before I could make such a coherent thought I could hear the study door closing and minutes after in trotted my father.

He stood at the end of the table and looked directly at Maximilian DelCarlo. He placed the small glass of Bourbon on the table and he approached him quietly as a predator would approach another; not too fast however not to slow to show weakness.

He held out his hands and Maximilian shook it.

"When?" He asked once he was sitting and his knife was in the piece of meat on his plate

"Pardon me sir?" Maxi asked looking at me in confusion

"When's the wedding?" he asked again with a piece of red meat on his fork

I looked at Maximilian and spread a huge smile on my face while looking over at him.

"The wedding is in a month" I answered looking at mum

"We have a lot of planning to do" mum got so excited as her eyes lit up

"What about that little boy what's his name?" He asked swirling his fork around

"Caleb" I clenched through my teeth

"He is no longer in the picture" I tried to erase the anger with a forced smile

"What happened honey" My mum grabbed my hands and rubbed small circles with her finger on the back of my hand

"He loves his work more than me" I grabbed the napkin from my lap and placed it on the table

"Glad you finally came to your senses"

"Excuse me" I power walked out of the living room and into the garden for some fresh air.

It's always been a fascination of mine when I was younger, how the fountain got its water. How does it more upwards and then move downwards. I sat on the stone bench in front of the fountain and watched the water move upwards and flow caressingly down the woman's torso. My mum can't say goodbye to this.

The wind spoke in different languages as they weaved through the leaves of the trees. It's been said that nature can feel negative energy and that they respond accordingly, however the bad energy of my own father couldn't vanquish the flowers in this garden and a part of me wants to believe that maybe the fact that my mother still lives here has the added effect of a strong positive energy.

This is silly; I'm sitting in a garden thinking about how positive enforcement can affect plants. From the midst of the gentle swaying of the trees I could hear footsteps approaching. The male musk of mint and sweetness graced my nostrils before I could see the man sit next to me.

I couldn't forget his scent, after burying my head in his chest all night I couldn't rid it of its intoxication. He had laid me on my bed gently so that I could get some sleep and I found myself clutching to his shirt. He held me all night and I couldn't help myself but feel attached to the musky aroma that he emits.

"You alright?"

"Yeah, why wouldn't I?" I wiped my eyes to make sure there were no tears in my eyes

"You kind of rushed out of there"

"I don't know how I'm feeling" I looked in those orbs of hypnosis