Chapter 20: 2 minute warning

Cinnamon
It seems like I had some sort of control over the weather. It was pouring down raining but I refused to leave the waiting room. It was going on 2am and the flickering of the fluorescent lights were about to give me a stroke.

J and Sapphire left at 12 to go pack me a bag. Ben wasn't back yet from the vending machine either.

This whole situation felt completely unreal. Who was the guy that shot him anyway? Was that Rashaad? Who knows man..

This was one of the reason I wanted Desmond out of the game altogether. Living a life of fear wasn't something I had in mind when I pictured us together.

The sound of crocs squeaking snapped me out of my thoughts. A doctor was approaching with a clipboard in navy blue scrubs and a white lab coat. She was a very beautiful lady and looked fairly young.

"Family of..Desmond Fuente- oh is it only you here ma'am?" She asked looking up from her clipboard. I nodded turning my lips to the side.

"Hello I'm Dr. Smith! What is your relationship to the patient?"

"Um life long friend.." I stated with no confidence as she jotted it down.

Flipping through the pages she sat me down before speaking.

"Well Ms. Life Long Friend I have news but it's up to you if it's good or bad. First off, he has about six of his ribs shattered. Considering that injury-"

"There's nothing y'all can do about it. They have to heal on their own but y'all got the shards out" I stated emotionless staring at my hands.

"Yes" she continued "also a bullet pierced a lung so he'll be on a machine for a while that helps him breathe. After that.."

"He'll have to breathe into this respiratory gauge and I'll have to write down the numbers he gets the indicator to.." I said

"Are you a medical student or something?" She inquired curiously.

"No, but my Dad was shot before and had the same injuries just a bit more.."

"I'm sorry to hear that. You can visit him whenever but we are keeping him heavily sedated. He tried to take his tubes out. If there's anything you need or anything I can do for you ask the front desk for Keisha. He's in room 730J have a blessed night okay? Get some rest." She embraced me briefly, patted my back, and then went back to work.

When she walked off Ben , J and Sapphire were all walking back up. Concern flashed across their face before Sapphire spoke up first.

"Same injuries?" was all she got out. I simply nodded.

"I'm about to go back there and just stay uh thanks for packing my bag.."

J handed it to me. "I didn't pack any panties for ya hope that's okay?" He joked giving me a half smile.

I grinned standing up hugging them all at once.

"I appreciate all of you so so much man. Y'all go get some rest okay? Ben's in charge" I stated motherly.

J smacked his lip "Man come on!" He huffed "bye cinnamon"

Ben just chuckled following behind him.

Sapphire turned to me taking my hands into hers looking deep into my eyes.

"Okay Sweetness I really don't want to leave you but I have to allow you to be a big girl" she sighed " I love you okay? Don't fall into that pit please God don't let her fall.." she kissed my forehead before leaving.

Picking up my duffle I looked for the sign with room numbers on them. Spotting 730J I made a right turn and walked for what seemed like an eternity.

I said a silent prayer, inhaled the smell of disinfectant and antibacterial cleaning supplies, and pushed the door open.

Mrs. Fuentes
I jumped awake at the sound of my telephone ringing. The clock read 4:31AM. Grunting and turning on the light I answered the out of state phone number.

I cleared my throat, "hello?"

"Hello? Yes hi ma'am I am a nurse at Santa Barbara Cottage Hospital.."

My heart hit the floor. I threw my feet over the bed saying a prayer to myself.

"Your son is Desmond Fuentes correct?" I could hear her typing and clicking on the computer.

"Yes ma'am is my baby okay?" I was already packing my luggage to catch a flight.

"Well ma'am your son was brought in at about 9:30pm our time but 11:30 your time. I'm not allowed to discuss over the phone his medical condition but he was shot ma'am. If you planned on flying out we waive the plane ticket for the immediate family members. How soon could you be out here?"

Slamming my truck door and cranking it up while holding the phone between my ear and shoulder I sighed "baby I'm already heading to the airport just please make sure my son is okay please" I said more to myself than her.

"We are a team of highly trained professionals and we are doing absolutely all we can for him ma'am. See you soon" and with that she hung up.

I did about 80 in a 45 to the airport. I thought it'd be Enrique caught up in some shit. I knew he was into selling dope for some odd reason. I'd never imagine the pharmacist of the family was in more danger than the drug dealer.

Maybe they had the wrong guy and shot up his office thinking it was a front. Whatever the hell was happening I had to get to the bottom of it. Lord please protect my child.