Chapter 5

When I open my eyes, I'm laying in the bed. I look around the room and see I'm alone. Of course.

   I head to the bathroom and see my face has dried blood on it. I grab a towel, yoga pants and a tank top. I start the shower and step into the warm water. I scrub my skin until it's red. When I get out, I wrap the towel around my body and walk into the bedroom. I pull on my clothes and brush my hair. I walk downstairs and see Jonathan watching basketball.

   "Hello Bell. How was your day long nap?"

   "I-I'm not s-sure. " I stutter while looking at the kitchen door.

   Jonathan turns his head to me. "Don't worry. I buried the body. I'm going to need you to scrub the walls. I'll repaint any stains. "

   "Okay." I mutter under my breath. I walk into the room slowly. I peek at the wall and see a bit of blood on the wall from earlier. I walk to the cleaning closet and grab a washcloth, gloves, and some kitchen cleaner. I start scrubbing away at the blood. Visuals of the sheriff laying dead on the ground flash across my mind. I shudder and continue scrubbing harder.

--

   An hour later, I finish with only a bit of stains on the wall. I dispose of the gloves and bloody rag into the garbage. Jonathan walks in while I'm drinking some water and looks at the wall.

   "Good job, love." He walks over and kisses my forehead. I give him a dirty look when he turns his back to me.

   I walk out of the kitchen and into the living room. I sit on the couch and 'watch' basketball until Jonathan comes back.

   He sits next to me and wraps his arm around me. I tense at the feeling of his body heat.

   "A man's coming over tomorrow. He's adding a pin lock to the inside of the door. "

   "What?"

   "It's a lock that needs a pin number to get outside. You will not know the code and you won't be going anywhere so you won't need it. "

   I nod and look back at the TV. Jonathan leans his head on my shoulder and holds my hand. He rubs his thumb over my knuckles.

   "What is that locked room upstairs?" I ask curiously.

   Jonathan stops rubbing my knuckles and looks at me, a serious expression on his face. "Did you go in there?" He asks, gripping onto my hand harder.

   "No. That's why I'm asking you." He relaxes and goes back to the position he was in before.

   "Don't worry, Bell. It's none of your concern. Never go in there, Isabella. " Jonathan warns. Now I want to see more.

   "Where is the key?"

   "When did you become so curious? Have you ever heard curiosity killed the cat?" I nod, still wanting to know.

   Jonathan falls asleep on my shoulder. I look down at his sleeping figure. I notice a thin chain around his neck. I slowly pull the end out. At the end, I see a key. Jonathan grabs my hand hard, probably bruising me once more.

   "What are you doing, Isabella?" He says sternly.

   I let go of the key and pull my hand away. I rub my wrist. "I'm sorry. I saw the chain and wanted to know what it was. Sue me. " I'm not lying.

   Jonathan sighs and gets off of the couch. "I'm going to bed. Feel free to join me. " He mumbles. His body is tensed up as he walks away.

   An hour after wondering what the key was for, I decide to go to bed. I turn the TV off and drag myself up the dark staircase. I quietly open the door and take my pants off. I lay down next to Jonathan. He turns around and wraps his arm around me. He pulls me close to his body, his legs entangle with mine.

   He kisses my neck slowly and I tense. I thought I told him I wasn't ready.

   He puts his hand on my inner thigh by my private area. I try to push him away, but he pulls me closer.

   "I'm not ready." I moan. Jonathan stops and rolls onto his back without saying anything. I stay awake for a while until I hear his quiet snores. I close my eyes and fall asleep.

--

   I wake up to the sound of power tools. I throw on some shorts and my OneRepublic T-shirt that I bought at a concert.

   I silently walk to the top of the stairs. I peek around the corner and see a man working on the door. He must be installing the new lock.

   "How far you?" I turn back against the wall as Jonathan walks into the room.

   "About halfway. Should be done by 12 or 1. " I look at the clock and notice it's 8.

   Jonathan sighs, sounding annoyed. I hear him walk into the kitchen. I slowly walk downstairs. I get about halfway down and stop. I sit on the stairs and watch the man work. He has light brunette hair and by looking at his back, he looks toned.

   He turns to grab a tool from his box and notices me sitting and watching. He turns to me and smiles. He has white teeth, brown eyes, and a clean shaved face.

   "Who are you? I thought Mr. Ryan lived alone." I shake my head and the man frowns a bit and walks to me. He turns my face a bit and looked at my cheek. "Where's this from, love?" He is British, so his voice sounds beautiful.

   "I fell down the stairs last night. It was dark. " I say quietly. "I'm Isabella." I hold my hand out and he shakes it.

   "Max." I get up and brush off the invisible dirt off of my shorts. I smile down at Max and walk down the rest of the stairs past him. I smile one more time at him and walk into the kitchen. Jonathan looks up from the newspaper and smiles at me.

   I don't return it and pour some Cheerios and milk into a small bowl. I sit across the table from Jonathan and look at the wooden table while I eat.

   "I'm sorry, Bell." I glare up at him.

   "You didn't have to hit me. I would've been fine with a stern talking to. " I say seriously. I put the empty bowl into the silver sink and storm out of the kitchen. I don't pay attention and knock into Max. He grips onto my arms to prevent me from falling and brings me to his chest.

    "You're her. " He whispers.