Chapter 27

The car came the next day, early in the morning. Mr. Turner was tapping his fingers on the window impatiently. Archer and Cosmo stared at each other once they came up to the window. Cosmo smiled.

"But still, no matter what, it was fun spending time with you."

"You too," Archer pulled him away, both pressing themselves against the wall so that Archer couldn't be noticed. "Shame that I won't see you again."

Cosmo sighed.

"Good luck with the village."

"Thanks."

He grabbed his backpack and approached Willow. He was leaning against the door, waiting. After seeing Cosmo, he got up.

"Let's go," Cosmo said quietly.

The sun was just above the forest, and the shades were still long. That gave out a melancholic effect; Cosmo found it quite fitting.

Careful not to be noticed, he waved his hand at Archer. He waved back out of the house's window and immediately hid.

They entered the car. Mr. Turner started driving without a greeting, and they were fine with it. As they were leaving Laora, Cosmo noticed a silhouette inside his house. That made him want to cry.

He inhaled and exhaled deeply and chaotically, getting himself to calm down. The tears started streaming, but the sobbing couldn't be heard yet. He wanted to keep it that way.

The wings started popping up, but he didn't want to spread them. He kept them inside despite the holes on the shirt. They hurt, causing more tears.

Willow had noticed. Cosmo looked at him, gulping.

"It's okay," he almost whispered, more tears dropping onto his jeans from his cheek. A memory came back. When he first got into the car to get to Laora, it was raining.

Willow held his hand on Cosmo's back, helping him keep the wings in.

"Thanks," he mouthed, looking away. He didn't know where to look anymore. Everything reminded him of Laora.

He relaxed and closed his eyes. The eyelids were filled with water, but he didn't dare to open them. His voice was raspy, and he coughed.

More tears. He opened his eyes, and they immediately formed rivers on his face. More breathing. He felt like he was dying, even though there was no threat.

Finally, he calmed himself down. There was no logical point in crying. He had achieved what he was aiming for. Ivy still had her wings, and that was all that mattered. The attachments he had made would soon fade anyway.

And Laora would just have to be forgotten.