Introducing Discus Battles (Chapter 4)

Silvia woke up early this morning, or so it felt. Because at first you could never tell what time it was, nor if it was day or night. They must have started with counting hours some day. She did not know why she had not thought about it the last two years and why now. Silvia went to the sports club, where ahe found Beck and their other friends, Mara and Zed. They worked in the garage too, both skilled at working with the programmer. Silvia found out two years ago, that on the Grid, the dark and strange land, there was no sport like golf or tennis, or anything she had known before. The most popular sports were lightcycle-race and discus battle. Both of them were really dangerous, if played in a real match. But in the sports club, Beck, Mara, Zed and Silvia often met to play discus battle for fun. Mara greeted her as cool as ever: "Hey S, you are late! Like the other twenty times." But afterwards there was always a hug to follow the rough meeting. Zed stayed as shy as always, a simple "Hi." Was the only thing escaping his lips. Beck was already programming the arena for the game. They decided on playing teams, like the last time. Beck and Silvia in one, Mara and Zed in the other. As person from the outer world you must know, that every program has a razor sharp discus attached to his back. It held all the information about the particular program, and it's memory, too. But it could be used as a weapon, with it's deadly edges, it eliminated every program it touched. In the sports club they only played for fun, so if someone got hit by a discus he was not deleted, but out of the game. The clue was, to dodge the other player's discus throwing your own at him. If it was that easy. The game was played in cage-like boxes, often with an invisible wall between the players, where only the discus could pass through. After two years, Silvia had become really good at this game and loved it as much as Beck did. There was a deep tone, the game began.