Chapter Twenty-Three

Miles

Miles lifted his head bumping it unexpectedly against tree. He brushed his hand over his head. He slept naked in the woods all morning till late noon after shifting into wolf, hunting for small game. With the night prior, Miles needed to let off some steam and honestly going anywhere near his father was not an option. He was far in the woods over by a lake where he could easily loose his scent at and his father wouldn't know to track him down this far.

   The last thing he wanted to believe is Kaliska falling for Maia. There was nothing wrong with Maia other than she being too old for Kaliska. It was in his nature to take care of the ones he cared for. Kaliska was at the top of that list. If she could see, Miles believed he could convince her to change her mind. They'd kissed and Miles believed she felt something. Kaliska was confused.

Looking up the sun blazed hot raising the temperature near ninety degrees, a small heat wave trailed along the water. He sauntered over to the lake dipping his hands into it to wash his face from the dirt that smeared along him. He walked further into the lake as the water deepened around his waist slowly moving to his upper torso. Any woman was lucky to walk along the lake to catch him naked and flawless with the way he looked. The water danced along his skin bringing out a stronger shine and he put the edges of his hands together like making a bowl, filling his hands with water to throw over his face. What did Maia posses that he did not?

Werewolves weren't ones to know how to swim but Miles forced himself to learn and master it. He went under and swam for about twenty minutes before returning back to land. Reaching in for his phone he noticed three missed text. It was Iris asking to meet him in an hour. Texting her back. That meant he had to climb back up the hundred foot cliff that he easily jumped down from early that morning. He grabbed his small pack that had a pair of shorts, running shoes, and t-shirt and put them on.

Shortly after climbing up the cliff he ran close toward where Iris would look for him and began leaving his scent. The easiest and pleasant way to do that was to simply urinate on a tree. Strong enough he thought.

He walked over to an open where less trees hovered over him and waited for them to arrive. Maybe ten minutes went by when he smelled someone coming from straight ahead. There were two. He opened his lungs breathing in a thicker aroma and realized it was Iris and Maia.

A moment later he could see them running to him. They stopped and looked around as if expecting someone else.

Miles eyed them with a grin knowing who they were looking for. "She's not here."

"Well that has become clear," Iris said sarcastically.

"How is she?" Maia asked, fretful.

Miles grunted, not wanting to comply.

"Miles, is she fine?" Iris asked concerned. Her tone suggested she had her own personal concern for Kaliska and it made Miles want to clear things up quick for her.

"She will be fine. Besides what my father has done coming after her and now taking her brother—''

"What do you mean she will be?" Maia snarled. As much as Maia respected Miles as a fellow pack member she would never lower her eyes to him. She was his superior and he'd have to get over his personal views. Maia cared for Kaliska.

Miles nodded abasing his eyes; realizing the more dominant wolf and continued. "Late last night we went to Kaliska's parent's house and something happened. Something magical that I can't even explain but the vampires called it a spell."

"You were with the vampires the whole time?" Iris asked not surprised.

Miles nodded. "The magic effected Kaliska and Mona. But I'm positive she will be fine by nightfall."