Complicated

The following week, Emily popped over unexpectedly to take Ava out for ice cream and so Rory decided to make the most of her unexpected free time to get busy cleaning and tidying the apartment. She was just juggling a pile of Ava's toys when she heard a knock at the door. Figuring it was probably Emily and Ava coming back for something, she walked over to door and pulled it open.

"Oh, Logan, I wasn't expecting it to be you," she said as she put the toys on the floor and self-consciously pulled her hair back into a ponytail. She realized that she probably looked a complete and utter mess. "Ava isn't here right now, she's out with my grandma getting ice-cream."

Logan smiled "That's okay, I actually came to see you."

"Oh. Okay, you had better come in then" Rory said. "Sorry, the place is a bit of a mess, I'm having a good clear out" she apologized for the piles of clutter that were lying around the living room.

"Don't worry about it. I won't take up too much of your time anyhow." Logan said as he followed Rory into the living room.

"It's fine, you're only really keeping me from the vacuuming and that's a welcome distraction" Rory joked "Why don't you sit down," she said gesturing to the sofa.

Logan took a seat on the edge of the sofa. If Rory didn't know better, she would have said that he was a bit nervous but that was silly, Logan never got nervous, he exuded confidence at all times.

"You know how I mentioned last week that I might need to switch things around a bit with Ava..." Logan paused.

Rory bristled at the memory of the conversation; it had put her in an awful mood that day. "Yeah," she said.

"Well, I wanted to know if it would be okay to switch weekends as it's my dad's birthday and they're having this big thing at the house...I know they'd like Ava to be there." Logan rolled his eyes.

"Oh," Rory said as she relaxed a little, it wasn't what she was expecting him to say at all, she'd been half-expecting him just to cancel on her completely and she felt a little bad for not giving him the benefit of the doubt.

Logan continued "Yeah, I mean I'd ask you to come along with us, but I know there are a million and one things that you'd probably rather do than hang out with my family...root canal surgery for one..."

"Sure, that would be up there along with gouging my own eyes out with a rusty spoon" Rory joked "and extracting my toe nails with pliers."

Logan laughed for a brief moment before he took on a more serious tone. "That's not all though, there was something else I needed to talk to you about."

"Okay," Rory said hesitantly. Now she really didn't like how this was sounding.

"Well, this is a bit more difficult...erm, my girlfriend will be there" Logan said quickly.

"Sarah?" Rory felt her a lump form in her throat. She had never heard Logan call anyone his girlfriend, other than her and it stung a lot.

"Yeah...and well, I just wanted to make sure that you knew that because obviously, Ava will be there and well I guess it's a good time for me to introduce Sarah, even though they know each other..." Logan rambled on nervously.

"Yeah. Wow. Okay, that's fast" Rory said. "I didn't really realize that you two were that serious, I mean that's a really a big thing, you know, for Ava."

Logan nodded. "Well, it's not what I could call serious right now, but I guess it could be in the future..."

"Oh, I see," Rory said not looking up at him.

"So, now you know," Logan said.

Rory nodded. "Now I know"

She looked across at Logan trying to work out exactly how she felt about this news. It was one thing to know that he was dating, quite another for him to be introducing Ava to his girlfriend. She couldn't help but wonder how this was going to change things between them and affect the dynamic they currently enjoyed. When she had him around for dinner with Ava in the future, was she going to have to entertain Sarah as well? She couldn't see that happening anytime before hell froze over which was going to mean a few changes and adjustments to their usual routine.