Happy Times

With just a few short weeks to go before the wedding, Logan knew that time was very much of the essence. Most of the logistics surrounding the actual ceremony and reception were being taken care of by Lorelai as they were using her Inn – so the next big job on the list was to get Rory a dress. Logan was a little hesitant in approaching the subject of dress shopping with Rory, given that she had found it all very stressful the first time around but he was confident that it would be a better experience now most of the pressure was off - and more importantly there would be no Emily or Shira there trying to tell her what to do.

Luckily Logan had someone on hand to help and he was able to call in a favour with Honor. She had a lot of contacts in the fashion industry and she was absolutely thrilled to be asked to help out. Honor had immediately called up her friend Beth who worked in designer bridal wear in New York and had explained the situation – and the tight timescale. It was very much a case of 'it's not what you know, it's who you know' and with some guidance on styles from Honor, Beth was able to gather up some stunning samples, she was confident there would be something among them that Rory would love.

Honor wanted to make life easy for Rory and so had arranged to have Beth bring the dresses to her house in Hartford. She excitedly set up one of the guest bedrooms as a dressing and staging area. Rory was impressed and touched when she saw the effort Honor had gone to for her. She felt so different about this experience as Logan had taken the helm and steered things away from the big society wedding she was dreading. She now felt more in control of her own destiny, and with just Honor and her mom there, she knew that she'd finally get a say in her own dress.

"Now Rory, I know you weren't keen on the big meringue type ball gowns that Emily and my mother were trying to shoehorn you into so I spoke to Beth and the dresses she has brought with her, well they're a bit different from that and I really think you'll like them. I hope you do anyway" Honor rambled nervously. She really wanted to get this right for Rory.

"I'm sure I will Honor" Rory smiled. "And I really appreciate all of this, everything you're doing"

"I just want it to be perfect Rory. You deserve to have an amazing dress - something a little sexy too" she winked. "Something to make my brother drool."

"Ugh, he does enough of that already" Lorelai pretended to shudder "They already can't keep their hands off each other, we could do without having a wedding night preview right there at the altar," she said in mock disgust.

"Well, you're lucky then mom, because there won't be an altar" Rory teased.

Beth looked at them and smiled. "Shall we get this show on the road? Do you want to come with me Rory?" she said as she led Rory into the guest bedroom.

Rory looked around the room where various styles of wedding dresses were hanging up.

"Do any of these stand out to you?" Beth asked.

"They're all so beautiful!" Rory said as she lightly touched the fabric of each dress. "Okay that one is perhaps a bit too sexy, my grandmother would have a heart attack!" she laughed as she looked at Pnina Tornai dress with a lace bodice gown and a high thigh split.

"Just try it on for kicks" Beth winked.

Rory smiled at her. She took a few minutes to look at the dresses and she picked out three dresses that she loved the look of – the daring Pnina Tornai, a stunning intricately embroidered gown by a designer called Claire Pettibone and a Sottero & Midgely vintage inspired dress.

She tried on the vintage style dress first. It was a gorgeous A-line satin slip with a tulle overlay, with linear patterns of decadent pearls and beading and a gorgeous illusion back. Everyone cooed over the dress when they saw it, it was definitely stunning and Rory really loved it, it was so classic and elegant but while she felt beautiful, she wanted something that took a little bit more of a risk.