Work It Out

The next morning Steph arrived at Rory's apartment armed with treats and goodies for Ava. Rory had called her friend the night before to tell her a little about what had happened with Logan. Steph walked into the living room and handed over the teddies, sweets and books that she had brought to an excited Ava who was lying on the sofa watching a film. After making sure Ava was comfortable and happy, Rory and Steph went and sat down with a cup of coffee in the kitchen out of earshot.

"So, how are things really Rory?" Steph asked.

"Really? Do you want the honest answer? Things are what I would politely call, an absolute steaming pile of crap." Rory admitted.

Steph smiled at her friend sympathetically. "What? Why?"

"Logan and I...we're just in a really bad place at the moment. We're bickering more than we're not and it's mostly my fault I think. I don't really know how to fix it or make it better." Rory said. "Maybe it can't be fixed" she shrugged.

"Don't be ridiculous, everything can be fixed," Steph said. She cocked her head to one side and looked at her friend "You love him don't you."

"I don't know, it's driving me crazy trying to work out all my feelings," Rory said as Steph raised an eyebrow at her. "Okay, yes, yes I do love him."

"Then dammit Rory, you really need to tell him how you feel. I cannot take much more of this! He's not a mind-reader you know." Steph said as she sipped her coffee.

"What's the point? He's moved on, he's got a girlfriend and he's not interested in me. I mean, if he was, then he's had more than enough opportunity to do something about it don't you think?" Rory said. "And now he's introduced her to his family and they're bound to like her better than me – they like everyone better than me..."

"Ugh, you guys just totally kill me. Do you know, he said practically said the same thing about you, Rory. Can't you see that he's in love with you too? You need to say something, it's not all up to Logan to make the first move here." Steph shook her head.

"I know that but it's really hard," Rory said quietly.

"So, what, you're just going to watch him be with someone else even though what you both really want is to be together? That's crazy." Steph said.

"He's happy with Sarah right now. What if I tell him how I feel and he says he can't do it? Then we risk our friendship even more. No, I'm just going to let things run its course. If it's meant to be, it's meant to be." Rory said as she finished off her drink.

-------

Rory started her new job at the Hartford Courant on the following Monday morning. By the Thursday she really felt like she was getting into the swing of it and that she could really enjoy working here, but not long after she had sat down at her desk, she heard a voice that made her blood run cold. Logan's father was in the office.

She looked up as she saw him walking through the newsroom and she groaned. Rory knew that her colleagues were well aware that she had some sort of background with the Huntzbergers. They also knew that her daughter was the granddaughter of the great Mitchum Huntzberger, so she was pretty sure all eyes would be on her to see how they interacted together.

Mitchum caught sight of Rory and walked up to her desk. "Rory, what a surprise. I didn't know you were working here now?"

Rory smiled politely at Mitchum "Yes, well I just started this week. Logan set it up for me" she added, wanting to be honest about how she came to be working there.

"I didn't see you at the party at the weekend but I heard you came by to collect Ava. You should have stopped and said hello" Mitchum said.

"I was in a bit of a rush to get her home, and I didn't really want to erm, intrude on your party." Rory smiled.