Part 39: Only You Can Show Me Now

Chapter summary:  Gary has been told he may not be able to sing again, so what now will he do. His friends rally around to help, but will that help spell an end to the love birds happiness?! I sense drama! ;) Please see end of chapter for author notes.

*Apologies for the long wait*

_________________________________________

"Poor Gaz" Mark said, "How is he doing?" He asked Robbie.

"How do you think he's doing?" came Robbie's rhetoric reply. After he and Marjorie had finally got Gary to sleep, albeit a restless sleep at best – Marjorie had asked Robbie to let the other band members know the far from good news regarding Gary's vocal chords. Although hesitant to leave Gary's side, Robbie eventually agreed and had arranged for the three other lads to join him for a coffee around Mark's.

He had began considering how best to tell them, knowing the consequences affected them, as well as Gary - but in the end there was no easy way to say it but to repeat just as the doctor had told him and Marjorie. At first, the three other lads had all fallen into a stunned silence. Shocked, dazed, overwhelmed. They proceeded to stay that way for quite some time before Mark had finally broken the silence with his question. Robbie surveyed the other two men the room, trying to read their minds but Howard simply remained quiet and contemplative, with his eyes directed downwards; while Jason just looked on sombrely.

"Can we see him?" Mark asked tentatively, unsure whether it was a good idea or not.

"Of course you can see him, Mark – now he's out of the ICU, you can go anytime".

"I know Rob, but I mean – is he ready to see us?" Mark asked meaningfully, as he looked up at Robbie with newly glistening eyes.

Robbie knew why they glistened, for he too had tears in his own eyes. They were all heartbroken for Gary of course, but he knew what else they were all thinking about too. He just wondered who would be the first to voice it. Robbie understood that as a floating member it may seem like he wasn't as invested in the band, as the others. But Take That was in his heart always, it had brought him all he had now, including the man of his dreams - literally! He owed that band everything. They all did.

After a moment's pause, Robbie remembered Mark's question and simply shrugged his shoulders, for he honestly had no idea if Gary was ready to see them, if in fact he'd ever be ready. Mark gave a small curt nod, his face pale and grave. He understood all too well.

"I better go call Jonathan", Howard suddenly piped up from nowhere. The other lads immediately looked at him with surprise and somewhat confusion, but he quickly explained; "We've got to cancel the album release, and thank god we hadn't announced the tour yet!"

"Why do we need to cancel the album?" Mark innocently asked.

"Are you kiddin' Mark?!" Howard scorned, "We can't have our potentially  last album come out while this is all happening. It's not right."

"But, who says it'll be our last album?" Mark countered quite determinedly.

"Did you not hear him Mark?! Gary can't sing! If he can't sing, Take That is over. There is no Take That without Gary Barlow!...and we certainly can't go out on this album, especially with all baggage it has! I mean, for christ's sake – we were making it when right under our noses Gary was going through hell, and we did nothing! And it ended in his attempted murder! What do you think the press and critics will be talking about – THAT, or our melodic harmonies?!"

"I know that Howard!" Mark snapped, immediately irritated by Howard's insinuation that he was somehow being insensitive, "but that's not what I meant! Rob only said he MAY not sing again! We have to think positive! That's what Gary would do!" He told them all sternly. Mark actually felt far from positive if truth be told, but he was determined to act so - for all their sakes.