(1) 'Nana your business'

Chapter 1- Kayla’s POV

I shrieked as I sat up, my whole body covered in a thick layer of sweat. I slowly breathed in and out trying to calm down. Not again, when will these dreams stop? These dreams, or shall I say nightmares, have been haunting me for 5 years now. I just can’t get rid of them not matter what I do. I tried to talk to my counsellor but even she couldn’t help.

I looked in the mirror to see my brunette hair dishevelled and my blue eyes tearing up. I looked at the clock to see it was past 7 which means I have half an hour to make it to school in time. Shit! My first day of school and I’m already late. I jumped out of my bed and went to the bathroom to see it was occupied by my dear brother Cole.

Cole is my baby brother. Okay maybe he’s not so much of a baby since he is 16 but that won’t stop me from calling him that. He’s the only family I have.

“COLE! HURRY UP OR WE’RE GOING TO BE LATE FOR SCHOOL, WE’VE ALREADY MISSED THE BUS!” I shouted.

I wish I had my own bathroom but I should be glad that I’ve got this 2 bedroom apartment which I can barely afford. Oh shit, my rent is due tomorrow and I’m 100 dollars short. Crap crap crap! I’m screwed. Maybe I can convince my manager to give me my pay check early today. Yeah, I’ll do that.

“I’m out!” Cole shouted and ran out of the bathroom with a towel around his waist.

“Go get ready in 10 minutes.” I ordered as I grabbed my towel and quickly showered. The water turned cold almost instantly but I had no choice but to shower in it. I quickly threw on my ‘I’m really a unicorn’ pink sweater and my blue worn out jeans. I found a pair of my flats and put them on. I then tamed my hair with the brush and just left it out, doing nothing with it because of the lack of time we have.

“I’m ready!” I shouted as I put the last bit of my makeup on, by makeup I mean mascara, eyeliner and lip gloss. I quickly grabbed my backpack and ran towards the door and saw my brother run too but not before winking at his reflection in the mirror. I chuckled at him as we both ran down the stairs and barely just caught the next bus.

“You okay yeh? I heard you screaming” Cole mumbled to me quietly as we sat down. I turned my gaze away from him and he pulled me into a side hug, my head leaning on his shoulder.

“It’ll be okay sis, I promise you” He kissed my temple and I nodded, but didn’t believe it.

Never make promises you can’t keep.

So let me tell you about myself. I’m 18 years old and have to retake my senior year since I failed my exams last year. I’m not that bothered as practically the whole year did horrible so most of us stayed to retake the year. I’m 5 foot 6, so I’m not short but I’m not tall either, I guess I’m average. I have wavy brunette hair. I have to earn money for me and my brother since we have no parents, which is quite hard I guess you could say but I’m coping. You could say I’m popular but I’m not the stereotypical bitches, well I hope I’m not. I absolutely love photography and dance. I would love to be a photographer in the future, like how cool would that be? Maybe then I’d have enough money to pay for rent and food. I’m the captain in our dancing squad. We have a cheerleading squad but I’d rather do dance than just do some cartwheels in short skirts.

It took us a good 20 minutes to reach the school.

“Have a great day!”  I told Cole and kissed his forehead while he groaned. He may be 16 but he’s still my little baby.

I rushed through the empty corridors and entered my first class which was biology. I looked at the through the glass to see Mr Scott writing on the board. I slowly opened the door without it making a sound. I started tip toeing to the nearest available seat quietly, which was beside Lexi. I saw some people looking at me and chuckling but I couldn’t care less about them.